FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: Fan Mail Overload!


Hello gals! I know, I know, I missed to post this much- awaited segment yesterday. Was just pretty busy with work and blog commitments. :( But as always, 'tis better late than never!

We've got a couple of queries right now, and they all covered a wide range of topics, from makeup to hair color! Thanks Rizza, Elie, and Beverly for your lovely queries! Let's start with Beverly's:

Ms. Martha,

Good day po! I discovered your blog just the other day and I got hooked ever since (and will be hooked haha). I'm a senior college student and everyone tells me (my boyfriend included) I'm a late bloomer. I am a newbie in the world of "beauty" and I think I'm paying the price now of being boyish in my younger-er years. I have low self-esteem and I want to break off from this mind-set.
Anyway, I think the most critical part of any woman's body is the hair. And for this I am very terrified of trying out coloring and other chemical treatments for my hair. I have decided, though, that I would like to try having my hair colored. But what would be the right shade for me? I've seen other women looking very hideous because of their not-so-complementing hair colors. Miss Martha, I'm a morena. What can be the ranges of shades I can opt for my curly, shoulder-length hair? Thank you very much and more power to you! :)

-Beverly

Hi Beverly!

Oh you've just asked the right person! Being a late bloomer is okay. I was one too! What matters is that you were still able to "bloom", right? Just focus on improving yourself through makeup, and you'll be surprised to know one day that you're already more confident than ever! That's the good thing about self- discovery through cosmetics--it's a fun one!

First things first before you get your first- ever new hair color:

1. Go to a good and reputable salon, and have a stylist check the condition of your hair. Ask questions about your hair. Get to know it better. If you think your hair and scalp is sensitive, (sensitive scalp is characterized by brittle hair, thinning hair, dry, flaky, and itchy scalp, and occasional redness occurring in your scalp) inform your hairstylist right away so he/she will know which hair color brand will suit you best.

2. Read up on different ways to care for color- treated hair.

Morenas will look great in the following shades: Golden brown, medium brown, and dark brown. I wouldn't suggest ashy browns because you'll look like a fake blonde. Black is nice, but it can clash with your skintone, making you look pale.

Here are some of my recommendations. Click READ MORE and check them out!


DARK BROWN/DEEP GOLDEN BROWN

- My current hair color is inspired by Jessica Alba's beach brown hair with golden highlights. (Left picture)

Dark brown is the safest bet for newbies because it just looks very natural. Besides, it's so easy to carry. Highlights add dimension to your hair. But if you don't feel like sporting highlights, then don't.


MEDIUM BROWN/MEDIUM GOLDEN BROWN

- If you want your hair to look a bit glowing, or if you want people to notice that your hair has had a small makeover, opt for medium brown. It emphasizes morena/tan skin. Medium brown is great if you want to see a significant change in your hair, as dark brown can be a bit too close to our natural and most prominent hair color. And if your natural hair color is black, opt for medium brown, as dark brown may just blend in with your black locks. After all, the point of dying your hair is changing your present/natural hair color, right?


LIGHT BROWN/GOLDEN BROWN

- If you're feeling a bit adventurous, and you're loud and proud about being morena, (like me!) go for rich and sunny golden colors. Golden or Light Brown is great because it deepens your tan, and gives it a sun- kissed look.

QUICK AND EASY TIP: Just look for the GOLDEN BROWN shade range in the hair color book/palette. That's the easiest way to find the right colors that will suit your morena skin. Hope this helps! And I'm happy that you're one proud morena! :D

Let's now move forward to Rizza and Elie's questions, both concerning sensitive skin:

Hello Martha! :)

I would like to ask for your suggestion of a good settling powder that suits my sensitive skin. I haven't used one since I started using make-ups because I wasn't really aware of it before, and I saw how it makes your make-up better. I'm really learning a lot from you, you know? Hehe.

Btw, I told you on my previous email that I'm back reading your posts, and guess what? I'm on your June 3, 2011 post already. Haha! Didn't know I'll be this addicted to your blog. It's a beauty blog, but I love that you still post out of the blue topics (fashion, food, etc.). Thank you! :)

- Rizza

Hello Rizza!

Awww....That's sweet! Thank you for being an avid reader! :) Hope to have you around for a long time! :)

Managing sensitive skin is quite tough because you have to be forever aware and cautious of the products that you're going to use, not to mention your choices can be a bit unvaried. But nowadays, a lot of brands are slowly improving their lines to cater to sensitive- skinned people, so rejoice! You'll finally have more reasons (and choices too!) to enjoy cosmetics. :)



Perhaps the most popular hypoallergenic brand in the world is Clinique, so I would suggest this brand to you. They actually have a lot of products to choose from. :) Try Clinique's Gentle Light face powder. Please check out their other setting powder variants as well.


Covergirl's Clean line is formulated with almost no chemicals, and it's great for people with sensitive skin. I have used their Clean pressed powder before and it's great! It's very accessible and affordable too. :)

VMV Hypoallergenics, another famous brand known for their hypoallergenic products, has a line of pressed finishers, so please check them out.

Have fun choosing! :)

Lastly, here's Elie's question:

Hi Martha!

I have just started reading your blog today. I was searching for reviews on VMV Hypoallergenic products and I found myself searching and reading through your whole website. And now, I just can't stop browsing! I have finally found a website which answers my queries even without really asking them. You really are a great blogger and a very helpful one to every beauty/body/fashion aficionado. :))

As for my official query, what brand of skin care/cosmetics (specifically powder and blush) can you suggest for sensitive skin? I have problems regarding redness, dryness, itchiness around the cheek area. I have consulted two dermatologists. One said I have Contact/Allergic Dermatitis and the other said I have this skin condition called Rosacea. Though they are not consistent (pasumpong-sumpong lang), they are really disturbing especially that I am a customer agent and a front liner at work. And I have to wear make up almost everyday.

I am considering VMV Hypoallergenics since some people say it is really promising and worth every penny. And also Shu Uemura is recommended to me for it is also hypoallergenic. But I am also starting to consider Shiseido since you have given it a really good review. Now I am confused! :|
I hope I can hear from you soon. Thank you and more power to you. :))

- Elie Santos

Hello Elie!

Thank you! Glad to know that my posts are really helping you out. :D Keep on reading!

Atopic Dermatitis is one of the causes of Rosacea, or it could simply be a skin condition on its own. Either way, they only have the same symptoms: reddish and itchy skin, (especially during flare- ups) severely dry skin, and acne.

Photo Credits: phobeann.me

First things first. As Shu Uemura has said, "Beautiful makeup starts with beautiful skin." So the best thing to do is buy products that will help manage your skin condition so you'll feel more comfortable when you're wearing makeup.

VMV Hypoallergenics has a new line called RED BETTER, a line that will help you manage Rosacea/Atopic Dermatitis, and remedy skin attacks. If you experience flare ups often, get Red Better Flare Up Balm and apply a thin layer prior to putting makeup on to prevent any impending flare ups.

VMV omits any allergen in their skin care products, including makeup. They have a wide array of makeups to choose from, from mascara to lipstick, so feel free to indulge because their makeups are oh-so-gentle. :)



Clinique has versions of their products for people with sensitive skin too!




Clinique's makeups are all allergy- tested and hypoallergenic as well. I would recommend their blushes, foundation, and setting powders. :)

If you're on a budget, check out Covergirl's Clean line.


But if you want to be safe and sure, opt for Mineral Makeup instead. To date, it's the best makeup type for people with sensitive skin. I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce ELES Mineral Cosmetics, a 100% organic mineral makeup line. They're coming to the Philippines soon!

But there are a lot of good Mineral makeups available in the market right now. For affordable ones, there's Maybelline. For expensive ones, there's Jane Iredale and Bare Escentuals.

Rizza and Elie, some traditional makeup lines such as Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, and MAC have mineral makeup lines too, so please check them out. :)

WHEW! Hope I was able to cover everything! :) Have a pleasant weekend everyone! :)

*Note: Most pictures here are not mine. If one or some of these pictures are yours, feel free to message me so I could give you due credit. :)

**Got a burning question about makeups, skin care products, beauty, dieting, and health tips, relationships, and whatever? Just send them to martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com or shoot 'em up at The Beauty Junkee's FB Fan Page via the MESSAGE button and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. (Please, do not send me Math- related queries. :D)

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. Thank you very much Ms. Martha for this wonderful post. Not only you helped the three of us, but also the other gals out there who have the same condition as ours. I would definitely try the new line of VMV skin care. And also the Covergirl's clean line. I've been trying to find a blogger who doesn't only comment about her own condition but also extends to others. Now I'll not only be your follower but your avid fan. Thank you very much and more power to you Ms. Martha. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. elie: sweet! always glad to be of service. :) God bless and more power as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Martha. I'm also looking for a pressed powder to set my bb cream. Minsan kasi may white cast pag powder fondi. Will check the covergirl's clean line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also into searching of pressed powder now.. Oily and sensitive skin here, :( thanks Ms. Martha! I'll check this Covergirl Clean pressed powder... I must! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ms. Martha for sharing your knowledge about beauty and fashion. You're helping a lot of girls out there including myself. I'll keep these pointers in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. as always, another super informative post from you ms. m! :) I love how detailed you are when giving tips answering queries. thank you sooo soo much!!! :)

    - feelingera lang ako.. di naman ako isa sa mga nagask pero i learned a lot. hehe. :)

    chel
    allaboutbeingglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Martha! :)

    I used to think that I shouldn't buy expensive beauty products because I thought that I could always find for alternatives. BUT you changed that. I should really invest to have beautiful and clear skin especially that mine is sensitive.

    You'll always have me as your reader and fan. Just an update, I'm already on your July 12, 2010 post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks girls! keep your queries coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're blog is truly amazing Ms. Martha. There will be things that I would want to ask from you then all of a sudden you'll post or I'll find the answers from your previous posts. You're really inspiring me to be a better blogger too. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sobrang inggit talaga ako sa hair color mo ms martha. going to a good salon makes a difference talaga. thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I've had my hair treated for years, I haven't had it colored ever since. I'm quite scared that it won't look good on me. Maybe I'll try the medium brown sometime. May I ask, is auburn color a NO NO to a morena?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post :) Another thing learned from the great beauty junkee :>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative and indeed helpful for me. I am planning to get a new hair color and I can't decide what color would be perfect for a morena like me. I'm so lucky I found your blog. Thanks for the tips, Ms. Martha. .^_^.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)