In: FAN MAIL FRIDAYS
FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: My 4 Beauty Blogging Regrets
Is it just me or there's really a new storm brewing and about to come right at us? Can't load websites properly at the moment because my Internet's been really wonky today!
Anyway, I remembered seeing a question on one of my posts on Instagram (@thebeautyjunkee) from a random follower asking what were my five regrets with this blog and beauty blogging in general. I thought it was a really nice question so I'm answering it today.
Thanks for that really nice question. I feel ashamed that I don't remember your name right now, but I do hope you get across this one day. As much as possible, I try to move on from a mistake or failure right away so I can be productive right away, but that doesn't mean I don't have my regrets. Regarding Blogging, here are five things I regret:
1. I did not start with a dot com or a self- hosted website
- Because I never thought that this thing could get really big; this blog just started out for fun, plus I wasn't that knowledgeable in the tech side of Blogging. A couple of months back, I've been consulting tech people on how I can transfer my blog from .blogspot.com to a fully hosted website, but with the kind of traffic that this blog gets, all of them suggested that I get my own server or VPN, which is pretty costly, plus there are a lot of risks involved so maybe I'll plan for this on some other time. The thing is, Google has a disclosure saying that all blogs and its articles hosted on .blogspot.com are owned by them and that means they can do whatever they want with them or even shut down the blog or delete the posts (but don't worry, I'm prepared for this; I export the blog and save a remote copy every week); had I known earlier and better, I would've gotten my own domain and self- hosted the website before it got big. Oh well!
2. I still proceeded using products that broke me out right in the beginning
- There were some skin care products that broke me out after the first use, but still gave them a try anyway. Maybe I should have listened to my skin better and saved myself from grief and $$$.
3. I engaged in online cat fights
- When I was starting out, there were meanies from this popular female forum who bullied me and naturally, I fought back. I could still remember the usernames of the meanies (but never saw their faces because they never revealed it) who bullied me and one even apologized via SMS years ago, and admitted that she was the one behind the anonymous accounts that bashed me almost every day for more than two weeks on this blog; there was also another meanie who felt really bad for what they did to me and revealed that they circulated my mobile number in a sex chat room (according to this whistle blower meanie, the one who did this was the person who apologized to me via SMS) and I even got a call from someone in a chat room telling me that I was requesting for a one night stand from him. I fought back with a couple of blog posts; thinking about it now, I wish I didn't waste my time on these bullies, but then again, I thought maybe it was the right thing to do because I had to show them that I'm not tolerating bullying.
4. I used CAPS LOCK heavily in my first blog posts.
- I cringe whenever I think of this! They said typing in all upper case letters in writing is like shouting, but really, my reason behind it was I was trying to help the readers read better by using bigger letters; turns out it's not the purpose caps lock serves. Oops!
But hey, come to think of it, I needed to experience these things to grow into the Blogger that I am today so really, I don't regret these too much. :)
That's all! Have a safe Friday!
**Got a burning question on beauty, cosmetics, fragrance, diet, exercise, love, life, Blogging, career, or whatever? Message me via POWR form, email me at email@example.com, or send me a message via THE BEAUTY JUNKEE Facebook Fan Page.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.