Photo credit: express.co.uk
This is what DIY Braces can do to you
While I was randomly browsing through Facebook, I discovered a beauty product and trend that spells nightmare: DIY BRACES.
When I was in high school, some of my moneyed friends were wearing braces; I wanted to sport one too, but later on in life, I learned that it's not just for vanity; though it seems like an accessory, braces are considered a corrective medical procedure and it can only be worn by people who need it - not those who want it.
What are the benefits of DIY Braces? It's trendy, affordable, accessible, and a cheap alternative to dentist- administered braces, which is good news for those who want to straighten their teeth. But that's about it. Now here are the perils and they far outweigh the benefits:
First, let's get to know more this nightmarish beauty trend. DIY Braces is prevalent in all parts of the globe; it rose to popularity as it has become an option for people in countries where health care and insurance ain't cheap, but was later on adopted as a fashion statement (wtf!).
What constitutes a DIY Braces kit?
3. Teeth Cement
5. Metal hook (to adjust the braces and set the clamps)
In the Philippines, you can find them online and on Facebook. A set ranges from P1,200 to P1,600 and you can buy some parts individually in case you need to replenish.
How much does a professionally- administered pair of aligners cost nowadays? During my time in high school, it's around P20,000; it's probably double the price by now. Given the disparity in price between professional and DIY aligners, who wouldn't be tempted to buy the cheap one, right?
But before you click the buy button, here are the perils of DIY braces and installing aligners on your own:
1. We are not sure if these products were made in sanitary factories or if they have been inspected by a health authority to assure cleanliness.
2. The teeth cement, we are not sure if this was formulated in a clean environment and if it has passed strict product standards.
3. Faulty application can cause teeth to become more crooked instead of straightened; worse, teeth may get pulled out and grow in a different direction! How would you know if application is faulty? You won't because you are not a dentist.
4. Can damage bone and jaw.
5. DIY elastic braces can eat away at the gums and cause infection.
6. Can cause infection which may result to complete teeth loss, heart failure or worse, DEATH.
If you're still not convinced, watch this Youtube video:
There is a reason why aligners (braces) are priced as such; they are customized to suit your teeth and mouth's shape and to address your specific needs. There is also a reason why Dentists charge such amount to install braces/aligners; they spent a considerable amount of time and money studying how to improve your teeth's condition without killing you, like the DIY Braces.
I urge everyone to not consider DIY Braces as an alternative EVER and to also report and urge online stores that sell such things to stop selling these dangerous things.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.