FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: Tests To Know Your Undertone (Aside from checking your veins)


I read that there's a new storm's brewing? It's been raining hard on and off since morning here in my place. Stay safe, everyone!

I got this question from Mayette; I was hoping to find an article about it that I wrote years back, but didn't find any; QUE HORROR! Thanks for the question, Mayette!

Hi Martha,
I'm starting to love foundations and I'm just curious, how do you know which shade to choose? It's based on the undertone, right? How do you determine your undertone?
Mayette

Hi Mayette!

Hi there! Thanks for writing.

One of the most popular pieces of beauty advice on how to find your undertone is to flip your arm, check your wrist, and determine if you have blue or green veins; if you have blue veins, you have a cool undertone (pink) and if you have green veins, you have a warm undertone (yellow, olive, peach, orange). If you have virtually invisible veins, you have neutral undertone (pale, brown).

However, blue and green veins can look pretty much alike depending on the set of eyes that will check them, plus some are color blind as well. In that case, here are other ways to check your undertone.

Photo Credit: Pinterest

1. THE SUNLIGHT TEST

- Go under the sun and the yellow light will immediately tell you if your skin is warm or cool. Also, if your skin burns to brown, you're warm; if it turns red, you're cool.

2. CLOTHES TEST


 - Try on some clothes. Check out which of these colors look good on you:

COOL- TONED:

Blue
Violet
Lavender
Pink
Light/Lime Green

WARM TONED:

Orange
Brown
Yellow
Dark Green

NEUTRAL TONED:

Any

3. THE WHITE SHIRT TEST

- This is a quick way to know your undertone. Put a white shirt against your face or better yet, wear it. If your skin looks alive in white, you're warm. If it's too pale and you look good in cream white, you're cool.

4.THE JEWELRY TEST

- Try on some jewelry. If your skin looks good in gold, you're warm. If your skin looks good in white gold or silver, you're cool.

5. THE HAIR TEST

- Our hair color gives us a glimpse of what our undertone is. Warm tones have black, dark brown, or auburn hair while cool tones have light brown and blonde.

Fill a white pail or bowl with water. Dip your hair and if your hair has reddish, gold tones, you're warm. If your hair has neutral brown, silver, or ashy tones, you're cool.

Hope you found this useful! Do try these and let me know what's your favorite tip!

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, cosmetics, blogging, fitness, love, diet, or anything in between? Message me via Contact Form, email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, or send me a message at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE'S OFFICIAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE.

Post a Comment

11 Comments

  1. So helpful
    Now i know..
    I think im warm
    warm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly informative Ms Martha. I am going try them though I think I'm warm, but then again I might have made a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bago sakin yung last tip! Thank you po. Always a new learning when I drop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought na you can know your undertones kahit sa clothes. Kala ko sa veins and hair lang eh. Haha. Ang galing talaga. This is very helpful. Thank you Ms.M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! gaganda po ng tips mo madam! under the sunlight lng alam ko hehe..I will do that, pairing it up sa mga susuotin ko or jewelries para makita ko tlga tunay na skin tone ko

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Eto yung content na hinahanap ko! 😱 I will try everything to know my right undertone. Even me hindi ko alam kung anong tone ba ko kaya nahihirapan ako pumili ng right shade of foundation. Natatakot kasi ako na baka too dark or too light for me yung mabili ko nakakapanghinayang kung hindi ko magagamit. Thank you so much Ms. Martha for this! 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! I never knew these! I only know the thing with veins AHAHAHA Never thought that apparel and such can also determine the undertone. Now I know better. Thank you so much, Ms. Martha! This definitely helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so gorgeous <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    I feel like I have a slightly warm/mostly neutral undertone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi, if i have a warm tone, what foundation can i use to make me cool tone?
    now i am sure that i have a warm tone thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous, thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)