WHY HIDE: A PRIMER ON CONCEALERS
In this entry, we are going to decipher the different uses of concealer shades.
If you're not contented with the efficacy of your concealer, you might need two or three more shades to completely conceal and change your skin tone. Concealer shades are made to help conceal different skin problems and discolorations, and of course, the evidence of late night partying. :)
- Cream concealers take time when drying so liquid concealers are made. They work just like foundation. They settle easily, and are less likely to settle on fine lines. Works well on any skin type. Comes in a tube or in an automatic pen with brush.
- For under eyes with dry skin. The creamy consistency helps nourish dry patches around the eye area, just like how lotion would nourish dry skin. Comes in jars and tubes with brush or sponge applicators
- For spot concealing. It's good for specific concealing of blemishes.
- Became famous when mineral cosmetics have entered the cosmetic market. It will work well on people with oily skin. It's also perfect for people on the go, who usually can't afford to spend too much time in putting make- up.
- Made for hard- to- reach areas on the face. (E.G. Corners of the nose, area right below the waterline)
Now that you have determined the concealer that will suit you best, you have to know which shade will work for you. It's not enough that you have a concealer that's a shade lighter than your skin tone, especially if you think that you need serious concealing. For concealing to be successful and for concealers to take effect, you should know what color suits what skin discoloration.
Photo Credit: cosmetic-candy.com
ORANGE/ PEACH CONCEALERS AKA "THE CORRECTOR"
- These shades are specifically created for dark circles with a slight black/ dark brown hue.
LILAC/VIOLET CONCEALERS AKA "THE DE- VEIN-ER"
- These shades are made to conceal skin discolorations such as purplish and bluish dark circles, and even veins on the face.
PINK CONCEALERS AKA "THE HIGHLIGHTER"
- Pink highlights the complexion. It also makes skin look healthier. And applying a pink concealer underneath helps people with serious dark circles achieve a healthy look. It also corrects sallow discolorations on the skin and under eyes.
WHITE CONCEALERS AKA "THE ILLUMINATOR"
- This is being used in professional make- up. It helps further enhance an area that needs highlighting or definition.
NEUTRAL/BROWN CONCEALERS AKA "THE CONCEALER"
- A brown/neutral concealer is what will commonly come to mind when someone is asked to define or picture a concealer. What people don't know is, neutral/brown concealers are only used to match the natural color of the skin tone. Total and correct concealing will require 1- 3 of the shades listed above. But this will pretty much work on people with less serious skin or under eye discolorations. Neutral/Brown concealers are perfect for people with puffy eyes.
YELLOW CONCEALERS AKA "THE BRIGHTENER"
- Late night partying, stress, and lack of sleep can affect the tone of your skin around the eyes. Yellow concealers are used underneath a natural concealer to help achieve a brightened and more awake look.
GREEN CONCEALERS AKA "THE BLEMISH BUSTER"
- Green concealers are used to tame down redness, rosacea, and newly emerged acne.
Now that you have learned the different purposes of each shade of concealer, it's now time to know what you could possibly buy and bring when traveling. It's quite costly to buy each and every shade, not to mention it'll be too bulky for you to bring!
Thank goodness for the palettes. You get to have various shades in one case.
PERSONAL CONCEALER AND CORRECTOR
- For people who don't have grave under eye discolorations, a personal palette with at least two shades is recommended. Usually, it contains a neutral concealer and a corrector/brightener that are specifically matched.
Photo Credit: cosmetic-candy.com
A PERSONAL/PROFESSIONAL CONCEALER PALETTE
- For people who go from casual to professional, a concealer palette comes in handy. It's also best for people who are having a hard time finding their concealer shade. A personal palette like this one gives you the option to mix and match different neutral/brown shades, so you can create the concealer that's perfect for you.
Photo credit: myclassycloset.blogspot.com
A PROFESSIONAL CONCEALER PALETTE
- This is an example of a concealer palette for PRO make- up artists . It contains correctors and concealers.
NOT IN THE PICTURE:
- Contains all correctors (pink, yellow, peach, lilac)
There you go! Hope this helps! :)
**I am sorry for not being able to type in the sites where I got these pictures. I forgot to save the list that I've made. If ever you see your picture here, please comment and I will give you due credit. Thank you! :)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.