Review: URBAN DECAY BOOK OF SHADOWS 3

Here's an initial review on URBAN DECAY BOOK OF SHADOWS 3

PRICE: 3,400php
PLACE BOUGHT: ebay.ph
OTHER LOCATIONS: Urban Decay's website; direct sellers online.

DESCRIPTION (taken from urban decay.com):

It's here, and it will sell out fast! This light-up, pop-up ode to NYC features 16 shadows (including 7 exclusive shades!), and travel sizes of Eyeshadow Primer Potion and two 24/7 Eye Pencils!

Totally obsessed with The Big Apple? So are we (how could anyone NOT be?) Inspired by the glimmering lights and iconic landmarks of New York City, Book of Shadows Vol III features 16 eyeshadows that go way beyond neutrals and brights, including SEVEN NEW shades with names like Loaded, Rockstar and Money. We've also included nine best-sellers in a range of sizzling textures: everything from glitter to shimmer to matte.



I've realized that I kept on wearing the same eyeshadow colors during events. So I did a major blog sale and was able to sell all my old eyeshadows because I want to use new colors in my upcoming events. And part of me wants to know what the hype on UD's palettes are all about.

I did a lot of research before deciding to get an Urban Decay's eyeshadow palette. Seems like everyone's lovin' it. I was choosing between Alice in wonderland, Naked Palette, and Book of Shadows 3. I settled for BOS 3 because it has a variety of colors ranging from light to dark. The colors on the Alice palette are too dark, and the ones on the Naked Palette are too light. But I would still love to have that Naked Palette because I'm a sucker for neutrals!

One great thing: I got this palette on a sale from ebay.ph. And take note, it's brand new!

I forgot to include this loose cardboard in my mugshots.You can find the ingredients on this cardboard.

Let's inspect the palette on all sides.



The pull- out compartment below the lid houses the eyeshadows, eye liners, and eyeshadow primer.

This palette is chunky and heavy. That's one caveat of this product. You'll have a hard time bringing this with you everyday (Unless you like bringing big bags with heavy stuff inside)! Make sure you use a heavy duty eye primer so the eyeshadows will stay put all day!

"NEW YOOORK! Onions, carrots, beans, and pow-tey-toes!" LOL! :p

Pretty pop- up eh?

I'm guessing that part of what I had to pay for the palette are the LED lights installed on the cut- outs. They light up if you open the lid, and they automatically turn off when you close it. Unfortunately, the lid is so heavy, it weighs itself down. I can't use the mirror unless I tape the box's lid on a wall!

Book of Shadows III comes with two of Urban Decay's best- selling products, the 24/7 Glide On pencils and Primer Potion.

Now I have 16 great reasons to wear eyeshadow!

The 24/7 Glide On pencils. Top: Zero, a matte black shade. Bottom: Radium, a matte purple shade.

It also comes with a cute travel- sized Urban Decay Primer Potion. I can't wait to see for myself what the rave on this eyeshadow primer is all about.

Here are the swatches for the 16 eyeshadow shades found in the box:



L-R:
Smog- a wood- brown shade with shimmer (MAC'S Woodwinked dupe)
Suspect- beige with gold shimmer
Bordello- Frosted lilac
Psychedelic sister- one of my favorites! Steel purple with slight shimmer


L-R:
Loaded- blackened green shimmer e/s. Great for smokey green eye make-up looks!
Rockstar- blackened purple shimmer e/s
Kush- cool forest green with slight shimmer
Money- a great platinum shade that goes so well with Perversion


L-R:
Haight- a beautiful sea green shimmer e/s
Radium- probably one of the prettiest blue e/s shades I've ever seen. Radium is an Ocean blue shimmer e/s
Snatch- champagne pink with shimmer. I love using this on my brow bones.
Maui Wowie- light gold with shimmer (perfect for inner lids or as a brow highlighter)


L-R:
Perversion- matte black
Uzi- my least favorite. Silver foil eyeshadow with tons of loose glitter
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again- a peach- toned beige shimmer e/s
Last Call- grape with peach undertones shimmer e/s

Here are some eye make- up looks I've done using UD's BOS III.




The eyeshadows are comparable to the texture and pigment pay- off of expensive eyeshadows such as MAC. If you're thinking that 3,400php is way too expensive for a palette of eyeshadow, think again. A MAC eyeshadow costs 1k per pot. And that means you have to shell out 16k if you'll get 16 pots. And Urban Decay only costs 3,400php plus 3 cool products included in the palette. So if you want to save, I suggest you get an Urban Decay palette. Staying power is amazing, the colors glide on effortlessly, and there's minimal fall out during application. The cubes might appear small, but the eyeshadows are hell pigmented. This palette will definitely last me for more than two years, as I only use eyeshadows during special occasions.

And I'm putting the Naked palette on my to- buy list now. :)

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Told yah it was worth it!! Weee!! Happy you love urban decay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. shen: oo nga! waaah! ngayon yung naked palette naman gusto ko. :p

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)