How I survived College in 50 ways


I'm missing college lately, hence the string of posts related to the academic life. Oh well, I guess it's true when people said that "You can't wait to leave school when you're still doing it, and you can't wait to go back when you're already done with it." :p

Anyway, I just want to share some of the rules I lived by when I was in college. Like some fearsome newbie, I, too, have read books containing repackaged advice on how to survive college but honestly, Life is still the better teacher.

I'd be an a$$ if I say that these books didn't help me at all. They did, although not that much. I'd like to believe that these books can only tell you what to expect in college, but the real advice and answers you are looking for will unfold themselves once you're already faced with the circumstances that call for them. I believe that all problems contain their own solutions.


Photo credits: http://www.cmi-fl.com

And just like these books, what you're about to read might be another list that you've heard and read somewhere. So please, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I'LL TELL YOU. The best person who can give you advice is YOU and GOD.

So how did I survive college in 50 ways? Click READ MORE to find out.


1. Ask. Always ask. Dare to ask. All the greatest minds in the world dared question reality, and these questions have changed the world.

2. Dress as if you'll always encounter a big opportunity.

3. Wear Red lipstick especially on exam days, group presentations, defense sessions, and the likes. Before you leave your house, apply it in front of the mirror and tell yourself "It is done--brilliantly and marvelously done!"

4. The unexpected people give the best answers. Our building's security guards and janitors have given me the best academic advice ever.

5. If your building or favorite spot has a resident animal, like a cat or dog, (make sure they're friendly) try to tame them by feeding them. They always come handy when you're down and all you need is someone who'll just listen.

6. Be interested. Stay interested.

7. Share something valuable to your seat mates like assignments. When you do, you're gaining people who will do everything for you. Trust me. They come really handy.

8. Pray positively.

9. Expect the best. Not the worst.

10. Don't be afraid to trust people, but don't just trust anyone.

11. Choose an organization or group that lets you express your creativity and emotions, and not something that compliments and will remind you of what you do. It will keep you sane.

12. Don't be afraid to befriend your professors. Trust me, they have lots of secret advice--and they're good.

13. Try to miss class.

14. Aim for good grades, but don't obsess about them. The more you chase them, the more they run away from you.

15. Always look your best. Put makeup on. Never mind the haters. Charm and beauty are some of the keys to success.

16. PROJECT

17. Try to be recognized.

18. Immerse yourself in various school activities. (academics not counted) You'll miss them when you graduate.

19. Explore your school.

20. Go out with friends even if you have a big lecture the following day.

21. Sometimes, your test papers contain the answers to most of its questions.

22. Don't be clingy. You're a grown up person now.

23. Find a set of friends, stick with them through thick and thin, and keep them forever. Make it a point to hang out with them often because you won't have the time to do so when you all graduate.

24. Don't promise your parents anything. Just do your best.

25. Don't be afraid of conflicts. They make you stronger.

26. Don't try too hard.

27. Inspire in order to be inspired.

28. Assert your ground.

29. Always treat yourself.

30. Be kind to your school's employees and officials. They will always favor you in times of great need.

31. Be informed. Stay informed. And let people inform you.

32. Music is your best friend.

33. Stop beating around the bush and say what you mean, and mean what you say.

34. Enroll in a course that makes your heart sing.

35. Stop pretending. If you can't do it, just say no.

36. Strive to eat healthy.

37. Don't follow each and every advice.

38. Use sunblock.

39. Study hard, play hard, pray harder.

40. Learn the art of being still.

41. Learn the art of letting go.

42. Don't sit at the front row because it doesn't necessarily mean you're interested in the class and the lecture. You'll just end up falling asleep, and getting a stiff neck.

43. Always keep an extra pen for your seat mate.

44. Buy a very pretty notebook.

45. Appreciate the beauty of reading books even it's already the Google age.

46. Take care of yourself. Take care of others.

47. Don't compare yourself to others.

48. Live by your own standards.

49. If you fail, just tell yourself "It's okay" and carry on.

50. FALL IN LOVE.

I know, some of them don't make sense at all. I don't have to explain them. Let life explain them to you. :)

Post a Comment

17 Comments

  1. I love it, Ms. Martha dear... reminded me of my college days... ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring! I like the number 4 advice.. It only shows that you are a very humble person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll try to wear red lipstick! madistract na ang madistract. hehe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading this makes me miss college so much more.. loved your article :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not done yet reading pero natuwa kasi ako sa red lipstick. pero mostly during defense, and pag sasabhn na result, pag bad news, pangontra iyak,kasi ampangit naman naka-red ako,haha char. I always feel confident when wearing red lippies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Martha!!!!!!! <3 Brings back memories! :)

    Gem
    http://gemnikkaonthego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's so inspirational. I will let my brother in law to read this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 44. Buy a very pretty notebook.

    ^^ Check! Hahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Martha! Mababaw ang luha ko. Ang corny pero naiyak ako sa post mo. I didn't enjoy my college life. The only rule that I have is to get high grades, follow what my parents tell me. Although may times na hindi ko din sila sinusunod, wala talaga. Dami ko talaga regrets. Kung pede lang ibalik yung nakaraan. But now, I'm facing the world kasama na lahat ng bloggers. I'll do what I want that I know will bring out the best in me. Thank you Martha, kung alam mo lang kung gaano nyo ko nainspire. Sorry medyo emo pero yan talaga nararamdaman ko.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. It makes me miss college tuloy! LOL!

    My version of the red lip tip was orange, really bright orange (NYX Black Label in Citrine). A prof even asked me for the link to Digital Traincase since she liked it a lot! LOL!

    True on orgs and hanging out with friends. They're a huge part of the college experience you'll miss when you graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. funny post. naalala ko tuloy noon pag exams magpapaganda ako ng bongga..ang katwiran ko...ano naman kung bumagsak, at least maganda. lol. during recitation, di pwede magmakeup kasi baka mapansin ng prof...matawag. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the 50th advice. I fell in love when i was in college ;) hahaha

    http://khyutee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love love. :) i miss my college days -- the most unforgettable moments from thesis making to inuman sessions. <3 thanks for the post Martha. and yeah, we should really get a pretty notebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. super touch by this post of yours Ms. Martha. Oww!! I suddenly remember how I come this far. My college years was my hardest part of being a student but yet I had many accomplishments. Being working student for 5 years is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this ms. martha! i'm studying(again :D) hrm and this inspires me alot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! blahblahblogchef:

    Can help but to comment to your comment.. ahehehe

    you right..I hate recitation too lalo na kpag hindi ako nag aral ng mabuti. and if you want na hindi ka mapansin.. dont do anything ahahah sa isang tabi ka lang.. at yuko ka lang ahahahah and of course dont wear makeup that too noticable.. baka mag ka crush c teacher bigla kang tawagin. ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello dearies! thank you for sharing. now I;m missing college too---terribly!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)