Review: Shiseido Eyelash Curler


Here's a review on Shiseido's Eyelash Curler

PRICE: Around 90HKD+ (Approximately P500.00+)
PLACE BOUGHT: Sasa, Hong Kong
OTHER LOCATIONS: Not available locally; Shiseido online; All Sasa outlets




THE VERDICT:

A lot are saying that Shiseido's eyelash curler is the only thing that one can compare with Shu Uemura's iconic eyelash curler. I've been wondering about how great Shiseido's is, but never really got the chance to try it since it is unavailable locally. Besides, my lemming for it is not so strong for me to go out of my way and pre-order it through online shops. So when I saw it in one of my trips to Sasa Hong Kong, I bought one for comparison's sake, and to finally know if this is at par, or can even trump Shu Uemura's legendary eyelash curler.

Click READ MORE and find out if it's better or just as good as Shu Uemura's!


Here's a summary of the best features of Shiseido's eyelash curler:

1. Lightweight
2. Width- wise, it's narrower as compared to Shu Uemura's
3. Doesn't pinch because the eye curve (where the curling bed lies) fits the natural contour of the lids
4. Eye curve suits Asian eyes
5. Best for women with hooded eyes and uni-lids
6. Handle fits women with thin and small fingers
7. Has an extra pad
8. Rubber pad is very soft and durable, just like Shu Uemura's

Let's compare and contrast Shiseido with Shu Uemura:


BODY CURVE: Shu Uemura's body curve is more universal than Shiseido. As you can see, it's more slanted than Shiseido's, making it perfect for women with chunky cheeks, hollow lids, deep set eyes, and eye contours that are somewhere in between hollow and shallow. (Predominant in Filipinas)


HANDLES: Shu Uemura's handles are bigger as compared to Shiseido's. If your fingers are small and thin, you will fare well with Shiseido's eyelash curler.


EYE CURVE/CURLING BED WIDTH AND DEPTH: Shu Uemura's eye curve is wider and deeper as compared to Shiseido's. I like Shu Uemura's better because it lets me curl my lashes in one go, without having to worry about missing the hair on the outermost and innermost parts of my lids. The rubber pads of both brands are excellent: sturdy and soft.

However, girls with hooded lids, uni-lids, and very chinky eyes may have a hard time fitting their lashes into Shu Uemura's eye curve/curling bed since its contour is quite deep, and people with such eye types may need to lift their lids to let Shu Uemura's eye curve rest comfortably on this part. And this is where Shiseido performs best: its eye curve/curling bed is not as curved and deep as Shu Uemura's, and it fits easily onto very small and chinky eyes.


OVERALL: Shiseido's is thinner and more lightweight than Shu Uemura's, but I like the feel of my Shu Uemura eyelash curler more: its thick body gives me a feeling that it will still last me for a couple more years. (I had mine since 2009!)

Shiseido is great, and I think it's cheaper than Shu Uemura's. If you know where to get it, I recommend that you buy it because it's almost as good as Shu Uemura. Actually, most Asian beauty bloggers still prefer Shu Uemura, even those with very small eyes and shallow lids. According to some of these blogs, when they've finally gotten the hang of using Shu Uemura's eyelash curler, they finally understand why it's considered as the best eyelash curler in the world. As for me, there is nothing that can outperform Shu Uemura. It's not one of the world's greatest for nothing! You gotta try it to believe it!

ADDENDUM: According to one avid reader, Shiseido is now offering their eyelash curler locally. Thank you for the info! :)

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. that's a good comparison ive tried shiseido's and it works well but i think shu uemura is still the best ;)

    Carizza
    www.carizzachua.co.cc

    ReplyDelete
  2. carizza: thank you! :D I bring shiseido in my everyday makeup kit because it's small. But I will still choose my Shu Uemura curlers over Shiseido anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your analysis! I use the Shu Uemura for 6 years now! While my sis, Tracy, loves her Shiseido. She has hooded lids so it gets all her lashes in one go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny because I'm thinking of doing this comparison too between Shiseido and Shu eye lash curler. And like you, I like my Shu more! :)

    Bec of http://mygorgeouspinkcheeks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on buying Shu Uemura soon. It'll be a good investment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Available po ito locally sa mga shiseido stores, I bought it po dahil wala akung makita na shu, but through multiply i finally purchased the shu uemura one, I prefer shu uemura po, but i prefer the fanny serrano one over the shu haha 😄

    ReplyDelete
  7. peachy pink: hello there! Really? Tracy loves Shiseido more? So my analysis is right! haha. My lids are somewhere between hollow and shallow, and Shu Uemura really does it for me. :)

    Bec: wow! would love to hear your thoughts on these products too. :)

    Gellie: yes it is! :)

    Anonymous: hello! Is it? Two years back, I inquired in one of Shiseido's stores and they said it's not available locally. Thanks for the info! :) I have tried Fanny Serrano through a friend, and it pinches my eyes. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love my first ever curler: Shu Uemura =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, i've been lemming for Shu's eyelash curler for years na but I still can't get myself to buy it, hihihi....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I want to try this coz Fanny Serrano and Shu Uemura curlers pinch my eyelids. I do love the Fanny Serrano mini-curler though, even more than the Shu mini. i wonder if Shiseido has a mini curler also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I got mine in Hong Kong also but paid HK$140 in their stall in Sogo. And its a different one, gunmetal color. I have to agree with you that the Shu curler is better. The Shiseido pinches my eyes.. I love your blog by the way. You're the only blogger I'm currently following. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Issa: hope you'll have your own shu curler soon! :D

    joyce: thanks for sharing! :) I think, as of the moment, they don't have any...although I'm not sure. hehe. :D

    rhain: I don't see the reason why people won't fall in love with Shu's curlers! :D

    anonymous: hello and welcome to tbj! Wow! Wish there was a gun metal color in Sasa! If ever there was, I would've grabbed that instead of this! Thanks for the compliment by the way. Love having you around. Keep on reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I would have liked to see a photos of the curves of the two curlers. That's where the importnat differences in curlers occur mostly. Great post otherwise. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curler has a big role to achieve long lashes. And I enjoy it. I feel so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)