COFFEE CONVERSATIONS: A Better Resolution List For 2014
Photo Credits: decibelmagazine.com
It's the new year once more and I'm sure everyone's writing (or through with) their freshest list of resolutions. While writing 'em down, have you ever stopped and exclaimed "Frak this shiz! I'm only kidding myself!" because you very well know that you'll drop 'em sooner or later like in the past years?
Studies have proven that most people would only continue with their new year resolutions in just a few months (3 months maximum) before dropping them completely and finally going back to their old ways because first, they don't write it down. (For those who just say their resolutions) Jotting down your resolutions is like making a pact with yourself and yes, you're more likely to stick with 'em for a long time or possibly, for life. I know it's the techie age already, but I think writing with your bare hands, a pen, and a piece of paper is more advisable because it's more personal and ritualistic-the act of molding the letters and making a few erasures kinda' symbolize that you are "renewing" yourself. Second, people don't really take their resolutions seriously and I think I don't have to expound on this. And I have some news for you: They go together so yeah, you have to do 'em both-no compromise. Nothing worth having comes easy-that's a fact.
I do believe that there's a third, vital factor that really affects the destiny of our new year resolutions. WORDS. Words are powerful and they direct our lives and command our actions-they can either make you or break you. That said, what have you been writing down in your past and current resolution lists? Do they scare the hell out of you or do they motivate you more? I made my list last January 1, but replaced it with a new one just yesterday and I think I like it better because the tone is happier and more positive. It used to be a lot, but I was able to cut it down to five and now it seems more doable, but pretty much covers everything I want to change and achieve. So I'm sharing with everyone my BETTER RESOLUTION LIST FOR 2014 after the cut. :)
Photo Credits: tlnt.com
RESOLUTION # 5
Before: I WILL NOT BE LATE WITH MY COMMITMENTS/I WILL BE MORE RESPONSIBLE AT WORK/I WILL BE MORE DILIGENT/I WILL BE MORE CREATIVE/I WILL BE MORE PASSIONATE
After: I AM A GOOD EMPLOYEE
- When resolutions start to feel like work, we tend to forget them and just focus on the work that is more gratifying. (READ: Work that pays you moolah) Being a good employee entails a lot of good standards and simply looking them stresses us out, don't you agree? So instead, just focus on the word GOOD and let everything else follow naturally.
Photo Credits: acrunchychristian.wordpress.com
RESOLUTION # 4
BEFORE: I WILL RECONCILE WITH MY ENEMIES/I WILL BE MORE RELAXED/I WILL AVOID STRESS
AFTER: I AM AT PEACE WITH MYSELF AND OTHERS
- Guess what? There's such a thing called ego and self- entitlement. There's always the need to feel superior over others and the need to feel negative because sadly, we made it essential in our lives. When these things get in the way, all the resolutions I've written in the Before would fall into oblivion. I focused on PEACE instead because the word alone brings me to a blissful state. When we go for PEACE, all walls just go down automatically and the world becomes a much better place. I also included PEACE WITH MYSELF because it really starts from within. When you're at peace with yourself, you can be at peace with others-that's the natural order!
Photo Credits: askawiseman.com
RESOLUTION # 3
Before: I WILL SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY/I WILL BE MORE UNDERSTANDING/I WILL TRY TO REACH OUT MORE, PHYSICALLY
After: I AM A GOOD DAUGHTER/PARTNER/FRIEND
- This is somewhat related to the first resolution, but it's on a more private level. The SPEND TIME resolution really gets the best of me because I am in love with my work and blog that I always forget to communicate, reach out, and just be there physically. This 2014, I vowed to be a GOOD DAUGHTER/PARTNER/FRIEND because after all, a Good D/P/F spends time with the people she loves, never forgets to reach out, communicate, and tries her best to maintain a physical connection.
Photo Credits: tumblr.com
RESOLUTION # 2
Before: I WILL SAVE MONEY
After: I AM WISE WITH MY FINANCES
- For most Filipinos, spending comes right after saving. (Or the other way around) When we say that we are WISER with our money, we are driven to look for ways to grow it and most especially, we get to curb the spending habit easily.
Photo Credits: tumblr.com
RESOLUTION # 1
Before: I WILL DIET/I WILL EXERCISE EVERYDAY/I WILL EAT HEALTHIER/I WILL MINIMIZE SUGAR INTAKE/I WILL SLEEP EARLY
After: I AM RESPONSIBLE WITH MY BODY AND HEALTH
- The thought of minimizing my sweet intake and taking a trip to the gym to get my arse whipped are enough to make me faint. Most people fail in this resolution because the words DIET and EXERCISE are too daunting. I replaced Diet and Exercise with the word RESPONSIBLE because it sounds better and not scary. Being responsible entails a complete change of heart whereas dieting and exercising kinda' sound faddish, therefore they get old.
Notice that my resolutions are in the present tense. Why? Think of a game show. When the host screams "GO!", the contestants have no choice but to accomplish their task because it's now or never. There is power in the present-your resolutions should be about being the person you want to be NOW, not tomorrow, not in a few weeks, not in the future because you will always find time to delay them. Another important factor is to have a goal and a system to motivate you further. You can't just opt for one-they must go together. Because a goal tells you where to go and a system is the path that leads you to your destination. ;)
Hope you enjoyed this blog post. To a better us this 2014! :)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.