Silisponge/Silicone Sponge Review + Price

Here's a review on Silisponge.

PRICE: P180.00
FROM: Free
OTHER LOCATIONS: Available at Kalm Cosmetics website

 THE VERDICT:

When Molly debuted the Silicone Sponge last year, the Internet went berserk; it's a totally radical concept, one that challenged how makeup lovers viewed and used the good ol' makeup sponge. Molly's Silisponge retails at 9USD, but some stores have found a supplier and started offering their own at a much affordable price; locally, you can get one at Kalm Cosmetics.

Now here's my take on the sponge that broke the Internet last 2016.

KALM COSMETICS SILICONE SPONGE IN DETAIL

Mmmm. Chicken nugget. :p

Silicone Sponge is made up of - you guessed it - Silicone; yes, the same material that brassiere pads and fillers use. It's soft, practically unbreakable, resistant, crumble- proof, hardly needs cleaning, dries up in seconds, and doesn't soak up product; it's the complete opposite of a regular sponge, thus promising you to save more time, product, and money. Also, Silisponge has a faint floral smell to mask the 'plastic' scent, I suppose; it's practically unscented, actually. The sides are soft and doesn't feel scratchy, although I would still use it with caution especially when I'm blending makeup near the eye area.

KALM COSMETICS SILICONE SPONGE IN ACTION

Silisponge claims that it wastes zero product and I find that to be true; I used it on a cushion compact and all the product I got was retained on the surface. True enough, it's fairly easy to clean too; I can use this with a multitude of liquid products in one sitting and it only takes a wet wipe to keep it spic and span, and ready to use again.

KALM COSMETICS SILICONE SPONGE IN ACTION

Let me make a bullet comparison of both sponges.

In terms of ease of usage:

Regular Sponge- softer and more flexible; harder to clean.
Silisponge- soft, but not as flexible as the regular sponge; hardly needs cleaning.

In terms of product delivery:

Regular Sponge- delivers 80-90% of the product. Sometimes I need to get more. Notice on the side where I used a regular sponge, a few spots are still peeping through the product. Regular Sponge blends and sets makeup easily.
Silisponge- delivers 100% of the product. I can even use half of the amount of makeup I use. I have the heaviest discolorations on the part where I used Silisponge and everything is concealed because Silisponge deposited everything to my skin. Silisponge needs a couple of taps to set products on the skin properly.

In terms of compatibility with liquid bases:

Regular sponge- works well with almost anything; not optimal for watery foundation
Silisponge- works best with emulsions, liquid, and creams; not suitable at all for watery foundation and powder.

In terms of durability:

Regular Sponge- crumbles and deteriorates overtime; prone to bacteria
Silisponge- practically indestructible (unless you slice it); not that prone to bacteria

The good ol' sponge and Silisponge both have a balanced list of pros and cons; they both outshone each other: Silisponge outshone the Regular Sponge on the product delivery and durability part and the latter outshone the former on the overall ease of usage and product compatibility part. 

EXPERT TIP: Take a small amount of whatever base you are using. Dabdabdabdabdabdabdabdabdab.

That said, I would say that there is quite a learning curve to Silisponge for experts while novices may find it a bit hard to use. Still, I wouldn't let go of my regular sponge aka Beauty Blender for times when I'm very busy and always on the go, but Silisponge is a nice addition to my kit and a good way to level up my blending skills; also, it comes really handy when I am breaking out and need to cover a ton of boo-boos.

KALM COSMETICS SILISPONGE RATING


To try out Silisponge, please visit KALM COSMETICS on Facebook to order.

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. Considering trying this Ms.Martha. I think I saw its ad posted somewhere here on FB. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no pro in blending and I find it hard silisponge for that reason...still I'm not giving up..I have to get my hands on evie blender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is somehow definitely the best product for me. I'm quite lazy in the cleaning field and this will really save time. It's quite a unique product, who knows there would be a time a sponge will be made of silicone, for facial use. Thank you so much for the post Ms. Martha. Been an avid reader and subscriber, and I admit, a lot of products I am using and have been used is because I read it first on your blog.

    I'll check the website now and most likely buy one. hmm, rather ill buy one this coming payday. though i prefer them being available on physical stores, like Watsons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Xiaori; it's always nice to meet new and old readers here in the comments section! I feel that it will become available in Watsons soon. :)

      Delete
  4. That Silisponge is really something worth trying. Maybe it takes a lot of practice to make it work when it comes to applying foundation. Thanks for the comparison review Ms. Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really something out of the norm. It's really a shock to know an innovation like this one. And I am thinking of it to be like a stone to rub on your face. Hahaha. so it won't be that easy to use compared to the regular sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You risk getting product caked on with the silicone one so yeah, user friendliness is low talaga haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! plus you need to keep on dabbing it and I admit, it's pretty tiring lol.

      Delete
  7. I have been seeing this Silisponge in some reviews and I have been wondering how it works. Well, with the comparison you've made, I guess it's really a must to have both and just use what's best depending on the situation. But I like the fact that it penetrates 100 % of make-up. Iwas-aksaya din. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I have silisponge and beauty blender and I use whatever I feel like using. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow!! I just saw this yesterday in my feeds and got confuse on how will the texture or to use it, just seeing those photos but didnt find any reviews... finally Ms martha, im planning to buy one of these..
    its a good review po.. thank you for sharing this!! This silicone got a clean finish to apply.. a must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post Ms. Martha, wala pa nga akong beauty blender eh tapos meron ng silisponge. Hehehe. Pag nagka extra money, I think I have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of purchasing Silisponge pa naman. but after reading your blog and based on Anne Clutz review, I don't think I will buy na. will stick with my real techniques! thanks M. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent expert tip! :) And it does look like a chicken nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me ok lng kng sponge ang gamitin.. Yun nga Lang less coverage..Pero ok na din..mas bet ko ang sponge unlike Sa sili sponge hehe.. full coverage nga ang malalagay na funda kaso for me ha May tendency magcakey yung funda..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. I don't use this with heavy coverage foundation; I'm afraid of caking haha!

      Delete
  13. I feel like this is one of those products that you have to try just for the heck of it, but won't really be using long-term. The fast clean-up part is so tempting though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I just bought it for the sake of trying it haha.

      Delete
  14. Gamit ko po yung regular sponge lang kaya super excited ma matry din itong silisponge 😍 Thanks for the Review Ms.Martha 💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I'll be using this Silisponge I'm pretty much satisfied with my brushes and they're user friendly too, when I first saw this somewhere in an online shop I was curious on how this one can be used to apply makeup since it's silicone..well I guess not everyone is compatible and comfortable using this..at first I thought this was a padding (the one they put inside the bra) 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Looks like a bra insert talaga! Yeah, I like brushes too; nothing beats their natural finish!

      Delete
  16. Honestly speaking, ngayon ko lang to nalaman. Thanks for this review madam, I must try this. Keri naman sa bulsa. :-) and maganda pala siya gamitin like regular sponge. Walang sayang!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)