BEAUTY BUZZ: YOUR SALARY FOR VANITY?

There are faces worth a million dollars. Whatever they did to have and retain such beauty required time, money, and most importantly, maintenance.

`As people age, they start to realize that "YOUTH" is expensive, up to the point of being priceless. And the youth think they have all the time in the world before age finally kicks in. (How ironic, eh?).

So thank goodness to whoever invented make- up and skin care for people to use so that they can maintain their appearance (or whatever it is that's left).

But of course, there is no such thing as free lunch.

As Jimmy James would put it in his song "Fashionista", "BEAUTY HAS A PRICE." And indeed, he is right. Some (and even I) would say: Beauty need not to be expensive. Hmm.. True. But we all know that this is half true, and Jimmy James is true most of the time. Because if we're gonna do the math here, the collective price that we have spent for our beauty products is relatively huge, even if we admit it or not.

What are you willing to risk for the sake of vanity? Will you spend for a 5- digit priced face cream? Or a five- digit priced mascara? Would you save money? Beg mom, dad or your hubby? Sell half of your stuff? Pawn your house, lot, and car? Exchange your dog? Or allot your next salary?

Before you think of ways on how to purchase your beauty product of the century, Let's go window shopping first and let's canvass for some high- end beauty products to date.

Ready?

Oops, hold your debit card first.

Let's go! :D

SKIN AND HAIR CARE

PLANK'S COR SOAP
DAMAGE: $125 (APPROX. 5,500PHP)

Photo credits: http://www.bellasugar.com

KANEBO SENSEI PREMIER BODY CREAM

DAMAGE: $400 (APPROX. 17,600PHP)

RUNNER- UPS: LA MER


HELENA RENSHAW ALTERNA WHITE TRUFFLE SHAMPOO
DAMAGE: 2300 POUNDS (I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH IS THE EXCHANGE RATE OF THE UK POUND. BUT ONE THING'S FOR SURE, IT IS EXPENSIVE!)


FACIAL CREAMS

Photo credits: http://www.perfumezilla.com

LA MER CREME DE LA MER MOISTURIZING CREME

DAMAGE: P13,000


Photo credits: http://www.perfumezilla.com

GUERLAIN ORCHIDEE IMPERIALE ANTI- AGING CREME

DAMAGE: P18,800


Photo credits: http://www.beautywoome.com

LA MER REGENERATING SERUM

DAMAGE: P14,500


Photo credits: http://www.perfumezilla.com

LA PRAIRIE NIGHT REPAIR CREAM

DAMAGE: P11,800

Photo credits: http://www.hookedonbeauty.com

H.COUTURE BEAUTY THE SOCIALITE COLLECTION SWAROVSKI- STUDDED MASCARA
DAMAGE: $589 (APPROX. 25,916PHP)

Photo credits and description from: http://www.trendhunter.com

GUERLAIN KISSKISS GOLD AND DIAMONDS LIPSTICK

This $62,000 lipstick from Guerlain comes with an 18-karat gold tube encrusted with 2.2 carats of diamonds, as well as some rubies and emeralds. The buyer will also get a personal appointment with cosmetics consultant, Olivier Echaudemaison, to develop a custom-made shade of lipstick. And you thought $600 mascara was outrageous?

DAMAGE: $62,000 (APPROX. 2,728,000PHP)


And this is where my personal opinion comes in.

If you are directly affected, forgive me for saying this. I find these products insanely priced, and the buyer needs some serious financial counseling as well (unless you're royalty or a company mogul).

I do admit that even my mom has expensive creams like her Dior and Shiseido. I could even see the point where some branded cremes (esp. anti- aging ones) would fall at around 3- 8k because companies have to sustain the ingredients and the continuous research that goes into their creams.

4K? Not bad. 6K? Hmm..still okay. 8K? Uhm..kinda' too much.

BUT FOR 18K???? Whoa. Thanks, but no thanks.

Unless I'm getting a small pearl at the bottom of the jar, I'd buy it.

For pete's sake. A beauty product is not a renewable resource, at least in your cabinet. And to replenish your stocks, you should buy, buy, buy! And seriously, how long are you planning to use your cream? Three years? Good luck. Because I'm pretty sure it's not going to work how it's supposed to work on your skin three years ago.

Some companies would claim that their products are backed up by scientific researches, or would even contain stuff from the moon so you'll have that ethereal glow as long as you use it. But seriously, a jar is not enough to get the total results. Every skin care regimen provides results after a period of usage. And I think that it is not practical to keep on buying exorbitantly priced products just for the sake of beauty. There are good brands out there such as Lancome, Jurlique, The Body Shop etc. that offer cheap and effective products (well, they're not really cheap. But if they are compared to the ones above, you'd really think that the latter brands are way too cheap!).

And the essential question is: HOW LONG CAN YOU SUSTAIN SUCH BEAUTY LIFESTYLE?

Whatever hey-my-skin-is-so-radiant-right-after-putting-the-creme effect is momentary, and yes, a mindset. Because you paid a fortune for your cream, so you are expecting and thinking that it will work good, even if in reality, it doesn't. Period.

And our skin reacts differently to each and every chemical. Some skins accept it, and they turn radiant and beautiful. But some skins are completely against it, so the adverse effects such as pimples, warts, inflammations, chemical- induced skin conditions, etc. are more likely to occur. And there's only one way to go for your expensive cream: the trash bin. And in my opinion, you will only find 2 interested people out of 10,000 who will view your selling advertisement. The first one will inquire, and the other one will reserve the item, and then back out. Because realistically speaking, it is not practical to spend too much cash on skin care products, especially if it's your first time to try a brand.

I have to admit that these products are too expensive, and I cannot afford them. But it doesn't mean that I'm being a sour grape here. And I am not disparaging such products either. It's just that I don't see the point why these creams are priced at such a hefty premium, when it all boils down to perfect skin and product chemistry. I may have the money to afford such products, but it would be a VERY special purchase. Knowing myself, who even thinks that the price of a Chanel blush is tough to swallow, wouldn't even think of saving up, asking mom, dad, or hubby, or alloting my salaries for such products. Even if I have a successful business, I would think twice of purchasing, because my mother has taught me the importance of saving and wise shopping. And besides, I've had my share of beauty mistakes. And I'm happy to know that I'm wiser now.

So before you think of swiping that card, foresee your financial situation, and think hard if the product will really give you a bang for your buck. Most importantly, think if it's really your want or your need. Money is hard to come by, and we cannot turn back time (unless we have the RETURN POLICY here like in Sephora, USA).

And to end this on a happy note: Beauty has a price. It can be cheap, and it can be expensive, BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE EXORBITANTLY PRICED.


TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS. WOULD YOU SACRIFICE YOUR SALARY FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR VANITY?


Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. I think this is crazy! I feel like I spend a lot when I pay $18 for an eyeliner lol. Your blog is so fun to read :) Check out mine sometime if you can! I just started about a month ago, and lately I've been on a roll posting things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness,my eyes popped when i saw the price as well as my hubs...lipstick with crystal uhmmm woah

    ReplyDelete
  3. britton lee: i know! and that lipstick...oh gosh...it truly is a luxury

    shobe: lipstick lover ako pero...thanks..but no thanks. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would rather invest on taking care of my inner body system first and then save up for some serious skin care derma treatments in the future.

    makaka pagpa renovate nako ng kitchen ko sa isang lipstick na yan. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jing: haha. :) naku, sa 2 million na yan, may bago na akong bahay at isang kotse! period! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ehhehe fun read! my answer is NO!! but of course my answer will have been different 30 years from now ^^

    The ViXeN's LaiR

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that lipstick is just whoa! i didn't imagine that there was a lipstick that expensive! haha. my mom actually has that guerlain orchidee imperiale cream that you posted. to each their own i guess. for me it's ok that she uses that since skincare is the only thing she really spends on. she's always looking for a sale and doesn't buy anything branded for clothes, shoes and bags and doesn't use makeup except for lipstick. so i guess it balances itself out. just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i guess when I've accomplished my goals, save enough for my future children, have secured retirement i'd splurge on these products. i just know i would. :) lol! i'd even buy the Php65,000 peso cream that's only available in Korea. :) heck, i'd proly go under the knife if i can afford it then. :) lahat na! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grabe, with those prices, I think it's actually more sensible to buy jewelry! Makakabili ka na ng sobrang gandang 24K gold and diamond whatever sa price nung Guerlain lipstick. Or, more practically, with the price of that lipstick, you can already feed so many people. O_O

    I would never use my salary for makeup that expensive. Besides, if one has not-sensitive skin (like meee), it's fun to experiment with budget products and find ones that have really good value for money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what?! 2mil pala yun? namalikmata ako i thought 200k plus!

    i can imagine mariah carey the diva owning one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. waah grabe ang mamahal! so shocking =P over ang swarovski mascara na yan haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone who will buy the Guerlain gold and diamond lipstick is outrageously crazy!!!! I'd rather donate a portion of that money to salary than spend it on a single tube of lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. damnvixen: true. if i found out that if i'm a heiress of something, i'd probably love to own that mascara!

    of course, that's just me, dreaming. :)

    shen: ooh...i wonder what that body cream has to offer?

    if i have a very successful business someday, (ala- MAC Cosmetics), I would probably try that body cream. :)

    angie and pammy: true, with the price of a lipstick, i'd rather buy a cartier blue diamonds necklace.

    and cliche as it may sound, it's really better off donating to the less fortunate than spend on these impractical luxuries.

    jing: yep, 2m sya. :)

    khymm: korek. and the inventor came from a rich family. her target are people from the rich family. she's sold over 1700 tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. crystal: i guess, kanya kanyang balance. but my jaw still drop at the price of that guerlain creme. ano kaya meron dyan? haha. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doing backreading here. Miss m how come u now hav d lamer cream? Wat prodded u?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)