COFFEE CONVERSATIONS: On Easter awakenings and defeating Defeatism (edited)


Easter ain’t that special to me anymore, as I’ve been celebrating it with my family for as long as I can remember. But it was only yesterday that I have come to realize the true meaning of Easter.


I’ll be a bit open to you guys. I’ve been feeling down lately for a couple of reasons: frustration, anxiety, and societal pressure (plus self- inflicted pressure). On top of that, I have real- life and family concerns to consider. This sadness has been going on for a month now, and I'm afraid I'll go in a downward spiral if I continue with this feeling.

I’ve grown spiritually over the past few months, and I have become more and more positive and grateful. But I have to admit that I’m human, and I fall sometimes when the going gets tough. I can’t feel God’s presence in my life now, until yesterday.


Yesterday was a very beautiful day: the air was filled with a melodious sound emanating from the bell tower of a nearby church. The weather was warm, and the beautiful rays of sunlight shone on my little window as it gave the whole neighborhood a gentle yellow glow. Tiny birds flew across the air, happily chirping and meeting up with their kind from rooftop to rooftop. Toddlers were riding their toy bikes, while the grown up kids explode in bursts of laughter as they play hide and seek. Our neighbors and their dogs tread happily across the street, and from afar, I could see colorful beach balls flying in the air at the clubhouse. It’s their way of celebrating the momentous day of Christ’s resurrection. But to me, yesterday was just a pretty ordinary day---only noisier. Duke the Beagle entered my room, jumped on my lap, and happily wagged his tail, as if he wanted to go outside and celebrate with the happy neighborhood. I just shooed him away, lied down on my bed, and succumbed to worry and sadness. I also felt a wee bit frustrated because I was aware of how beautiful yesterday was, but I couldn't appreciate it.

Out of the blue, I asked: “God, talk to me. What’s your advice?” I closed my eyes, patiently waiting for an answer. But God did not come to my aid. And I felt sad even more.

“Maybe I need to do something that will make me feel good”, I told myself. So I got up, dressed up, and went to the mall to get a manicure, pedicure, and brow threading, and heard mass.

I’m back to hearing mass again, as I’ve stopped hearing mass a couple of years back. Long story though. Nope, I didn’t become religious. According to the teachings on spirituality, you still have to have a place of worship—like a place where you visit a mentor for your daily teaching. The Church has a whole new meaning to me now. I go there for personal worship, and not because my religion said so. But even if I'm a church- goer now, I am still selective of what I listen to during mass because I have a lot of questions about the ways of religion. I’m not starting an argument here though. It’s just my belief and opinion.

Anyway, I don’t remember what yesterday’s gospel was all about, but I only heard and picked up one line:

“God has promised us a happy ending. If hindi pa happy ang life mo, hindi pa yan ang ending mo.”

Ouch. Those words were like spears that wounded my heart, and I felt like crying during mass. But I guess I needed to bleed (metaphorically) to realize that God has been talking to me all this time, yet I always refuse to listen. I was meant to hear and feel that line because it was God’s answer to all of my biggest questions.


Photo credits: heartsofcompassioninternational.blogspot.com

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE: We treat God as someone who’s only watching us from above, that’s why we are so disconnected from him. I believe that this is the reason why we think he never comes to us when we need him the most. I firmly believe that he is with us here on earth, ready to come to our aid when we ask. But God speaks to us in codes. He will not come down from heaven on a bunch of clouds and tell us the exact answers to our biggest questions because he knows were more than that---He treats us as powerful and intelligent beings. He has fashioned us in his image and likeness therefore, we are Him. We have God- like powers that we have to discover for ourselves. He wants us to realize that we have always known the answers to our own questions. Remember that when you ask, he always answers. He may not give you tangible answers, but he’s going to give you ways to get it. The answer you’re looking for could be an ad on the radio, a remarkable line from your favorite TV show, a message from a friend, something symbolic like a sunny and happy day, or something as simple as a bright idea or an intuition. God ALWAYS answers. We just have to be sensitive and connected to the world to decipher his message.


Photo credits: mistakesaregoodies.wordpress.com


That beautiful Sunday was no accident. It was one of God's ways to make me realize that it's all good. My happy dog was him telling me that I should walk and breathe some fresh air to ease my mind, and that beautiful line was his ultimate message. I was wrong. He was indeed answering me every single time.

I’ve come to realize that Easter Sundays are all about defeating defeatism. The world is so tough that it makes us feel defeated most of the time, but it's up to us to decide whether we'll be the victim or the victor. Your ending is entirely up to you. Easter Sunday is not merely a celebration of the literal meaning of Christ’s resurrection. It’s all about YOUR RESURRECTION. Easter is a day for us to start fulfilling the happy endings he has promised us.

I feel so much better now. It’s like I’ve been renewed after a long time. Belated Happy Easter, and may you have a blessed week ahead of you.

How about you? What was your Easter Sunday experience?

Post a Comment

9 Comments

  1. Belated Happy Easter Martha. We just stayed home, I'm not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kath: hey there! I hope you're feeling well now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. belated happy easter dear.. ang sarap sa pakiramdam habang binabasa ang post mo na ito.. saka yung sinabi mo na "God has promised us a happy ending"

    may problema din akong pinagdadaanan..(lahat naman siguro tayo..) sa twing maiisip ko, hindi ko alam kung pano ko nakakayanan sa araw araw.. lagi ko na lang sinasabi sa sarili ko.. "Kaya nangyayari ang gantong mga bagay kasi may dahilan.. at alam ko kaya ibinigay sa kin ito ng Dyos dahil alam nya kakayanin ko"

    mdalang din ako makapagsimba.. kaya ang ginagawa ko sinisikap kong dumaan sa simbahan tuwing uuwi (after office) uupo lang ako sa church.. at magkukwento kay God anung nangyari sa maghapon ko.. minsan kapag di ko na kaya dun ako pwedeng umiyak.. na walang magtatanong kung bakit..

    salamat sa post mo dear.. i have a great holyweek too.. kahit wala masyadong happenings..

    ^__^ hugs and kisses martha ^__^
    God is Good, All the time

    rhain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Ms. Martha, I hope you feel much better now. Sometimes, we do feel that hungriness in spiritual things. Just wanted to share this to you. I heard this on one of the Christian meeting we had, na yung prayers naten ay sinasagot in 'D' ways. Minsan, it's in 'Disguise", we didn't expect na sasagutin in a different way, or sometimes "Direct", binibigay agad saten yung sagot directly, minsan naman po 'Delayed', at minsan 'Denied' pala specially if it is not his will or when He knows that a certain thing is not for us.

    And that's true :) All of the things you've said above, that God always answers. We just need to ask.

    Anyway I attended our Christian meeting last Sunday morning, and stayed at home lang at nagsiesta (nakakamiss magsiesta). hehe HAve a nice week! Mwuah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't able to celebrate Easter dueto my wrok shed..and yes, I've been going through the same spiritual sickness..I long for God..thanks for sharing..it enlightens me..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easter for me is a renewal of faith- of faith about a God who's somewhere out there, waiting for us to call on him and talk to him and ask for his help.

    Ever since I was a kid, I've always celebrated Easter with my family. Now that I've got a family of my own, I spend Easter at home, with my own family, my parents, my siblings and their own families.

    It's a simple gathering, a reminder to me that life with faith and family is a life worth living.

    I hope you feel much much better soon. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i truly appreciate what you shared, "if hindi pa happy ang life mo, hindi pa yan ang ending mo."
    thank God for the hope!

    well, last Easter, i just stayed home with my family & i cooked a lot of sumptuous meals. tiring but, it was a God-given chance for me to somehow make it up to them for all my shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent Easter with my family and boylet’s family. They went to our house for the bulungan/pamamanhikan/presentaran. The event was a reminder that indeed, there is God. He may not have answered all my prayers but He never fails to give the best for me. God bless Ms Martha! May you always feel God's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello girls! thanks for sharing. your stories have inspired me to be more positive. I hope you're all having a wonderful day today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)