FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: 4 Reasons Why You're Stuck In your Fitness Journey


Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Some of you may be treating this second new year as an opportunity to restart, if the lunar new year did not start well for you. I hope it goes well for you this time around!

Today's FMF from Krisella couldn't be any more perfect because it touches on one thing that a lot of us fail most of the time in. Read on!

Hi Martha,
I've been watching your Crossfit videos and all I can say is damn, gurl, you can lift!
I realized that you have been pretty consistent with training. I mean, to be able to lift the weights that you are lifting, you must be spending a pretty good and consistent time in the gym!
While I, on the other hand, am still struggling to get through a boxing round without clinging on to dear life considering I've been doing it for 6 months now.
My question is how do you advance your fitness skill? Or how do you even advance your fitness journey at all? As I've said, I've been boxing for 6 months now and I still feel that I haven't made much of a difference on my body and skills. And sometimes, I feel like giving up. I really want to lose weight and be fit this year, and I think I need you as inspiration and also, your tips!
Cheers to a fitter us this year! (Well, for me because you sure are fit!)
Krisella

Hi Krisella!

Thank you so much for the kind words-glad to know that I'm inspiring you in my simple ways. :)

When it comes to fitness, a lot would always focus on what to do to advance their fitness skills, but this time, I want it to be different and tell you reasons why most people find themselves stuck in their fitness journey. I hope this helps!

1. HOW'S YOUR DIET?

- When people complain to me about their stagnant fitness routine, the first thing that I always ask them is "How's your diet?"

Food is a huge part of a fitness regimen, especially in the weightloss and aesthetics department. You'll be surprised to know that even with little to no exercise, you can lose weight if you will just be strict with your diet-now that says a lot about the power of food and its influence on your overall health and being.

Even with something as hardcore as Crossfit, our coaches would remind us all the time that fitness is 40% exercise and 60% diet.

Like what I would always say, you cannot out train a bad diet. Exercise is best complemented with a healthy diet and mindful eating.

2. YOU ARE NOT CLEAR WITH YOUR GOALS

- A lot of people get stuck in their fitness journey because they do not know how to make sense of it; they do not know what they want and why they're doing it.

They want to be fit because their friends said so.

They are trying out this workout because it's trending.

They are exercising because they think it's important...but without any idea of its personal importance.

Ask yourself: Why do I want to be fit? Do you want to be fit for yourself? Do you want to age gracefully? Do you want to feel better? Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be healthier? Find your why and when you do, this will put more meaning and sense into your journey.

3. YOU DO NOT SET GOALS IN YOUR WORKOUT

- Not setting goals is just as bad as not being clear with your goals. In the gym, I see a lot of people who cluelessly drift from one machine to the other and who obviously have that I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing face. When you don't set goals, your fitness journey will always be a blur and your workout will be 'just another day in the gym'.

What do you want to achieve? Do you want better endurance? Significant strength?

Let's get more detailed. For example: when it comes to endurance, how long do you want to run the thread mill? When it comes to strength, how much weight do you want to Deadlift/Clean/Press/Squat at the end of this month?

When I started with powerlifting, I set specific goals for all my lifts. For example, I started with a 35lb. Deadlift and my goal for the last 2 years was to add 5-10 lbs. to my weight at the end of each month. Now, my 1 rep max lift is 235lbs and I plan to lift 300lbs, hopefully by the mid or end of 2019...and I only started with 35. :)

Set your goals. Be specific with your goals. And then watch yourself move forward.

4. YOU'RE NOT WORKING OUT AS FREQUENTLY AS YOU SHOULD

- I've heard a lot of people complain why they're not yet as fit as they imagined only to find out they're not working out consistently and as frequently as they should.

It is recommended that one should exercise 3-4 times a week; if you haven't been faithful to this advice or worse, you go on weeks without exercising-not even jogging or light stretching-then don't wonder why you're stuck in your fitness journey.

--------

I hope after reading this post, your fitness journey will finally see a new day.

To a healthier, more fit 2018, TBJ beshies. :)

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, fitness, blogging, diet, marriage, life, or anything in between? Message me via Contact Form, email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, or shoot me a message at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE OFFICIAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE.

Post a Comment

6 Comments

  1. The pointers you mentioned are very much on point. I can also relate with the things you mentioned. Kaya minsan I get off track. Thank you for this. This serves as a good reminder for me to get back on track. Thanks, Ms. Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kung Hei Fat Choi Ms. Martha! I used to work out when I was still single and working and yes! those four things you mentioned are important and must be very clear to the person like me before... but while reading your blog, I get stucked on each point and try to ask myself how’s my diet, what are my goals and how often do i work out?... and i failed to answer all! i know having two babies to care is not a reason to stop my fitness journey. Thank you for the reminder to always take good care not only our skin but our well being in total.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bam the diet thingy I have cut out all those unecessary snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fitness struggle up until now is diet. Appetite is so difficult to control haha. Yet as a martial artist, I learned that fitness boils down to discipline. Discipline your mind to achieve your goals and everything else follows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate workouts lol! That is why I opted to walking after or before eating my dinner. Usually 4-5km a day is not bad though lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lack consistency with my fitness journey. Also, I tend to give into my cravings, hence, I usually set my diet aside. No specific goals either. Wish I could be as faithful as you with my fitness adventure though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)