In: BEAUTY BUZZ
FASHIONABLE AFFORDABLE AND CONTAMINATED: THE FAKE CONTACT LENS SCARE
Contact lenses are formally used as a prescribed form of "medicine" to people who suffer minor eye disorders. It comes in clear and colored versions, and in different sizes and shapes to fit a certain eye shape. Contact lenses have made dealing with eye disorders easier, since it is a handy alternative to eye glasses.
But contact lenses nowadays have surpassed its medical use. It is now a popular form of "cosmetic", as it is regarded nowadays as one of the instant beautifiers. Contact lenses have evolved into another variant: Cosmetic Contact Lenses.
In the fashion world, different times call for different trends. Fashion is taken to another level through the use of these cosmetic contact lenses.
The "doll" look, anime, and cosplay craze paved way to the rise of the cosmetic contact lenses. One of the popular types is the "Big Eyes contact lenses". These lenses resemble those of a doll, your favorite anime character, or even Puss in Boots in the Shrek series. These lenses don't come in cheap. They're priced at around 50USD in deubacon.com (approximately 2,200php).
And the "Crazy" lenses are introduced. These are like tattoos on your eyes. It is unthinkable, that being fashionable can come to such a point. But our fascination over hypes has led to the invention of these fad-olous contact lenses. Indeed, people have gone CRAZY over trends!
Nowadays, it has become a commodity for those who want to set the trend in a "different" way. But contact lenses are quite expensive, so it's only for those who can afford it. Luxury clothes, bags and shoes will always have a cheaper replica. And the same goes for contact lenses.
Being fashionable is now within reach! Contact lenses are a dime a dozen in flea markets, side streets, and bazaars all over the metro. You can even shop for them in the comforts of your own home by just a single click on the net. Price ranges at around 190php- 750php (approximately around 4+USD- 16+USD). You can even get it cheaper if you plan to hoard. Not only that, contact lens solutions are available for as low as 150php (approximately around 3+USD).
Tempting? Before you decide to haul for contact lenses and sport different eye colors and looks everyday, watch this video first.
**This is an episode of Imbestigador showcasing three stories. Please click on the third avatar of this video to redirect you to the FAKE CONTACT LENS part.
STORY COURTESY OF johnnikkol at youtube.com:
Dorris, a hairdresser, got an eye infection after using "fake contact lens" she didn't buy from an eye specialist.
These contact lenses are not approved by the Department of Health, and selling them is considered illegal because these are regulated items and classified under medical devices.
However, you can buy so many of these at malls - in Quaipo, Divisoria and Victory Mall in Monumento.
And with the price ranging from Php 400 - Php 1000, anyone who wants to look "cool" can buy it.
*Dorris was taken to an optometrist by the local tv show. The doctor's finding was a small tear caused by the contact lens that didn't fit his eye shape.This gave way to the bacteria living in the lens to penetrate his eye through the tear, thereby causing an incurable and permanent damage caused by infection.
Not only that, you can also find cheap contact lens solutions and cute contact lens accessories such as the case and solution bottle: All at budget- friendly prices.
I hope the video is enough to convince you that you should NEVER buy cheap contact lenses.
For my foreign viewers, here are the reasons pointed out by the video as to why you should only purchase contact lenses from authorized retailers:
1. FAKE CONTACT LENSES ARE NOT APPROVED AND LICENSED BY BFAD
- Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD) is a local government sector that regulates the cosmetics/food/drugs/supplements that are purchased and consumed by the public. If the items are not approved by BFAD, these cannot be sold. Licensed products bear the "BFAD- APPROVED" seal. The show has found out that these contact lenses are illegally sold in the market because these have not been submitted to BFAD for approval.
2. IPAO'S RESEARCH SHOWS THAT THESE FAKE CONTACT LENSES ARE CONTAMINATED
- The Integrated Philippine Association of Optometrists (IPAO) worked hand in hand with the show by testing some samples brought in by the tv program. According to the findings, the contact lenses are highly contaminated with different sorts of bacteria that can lead to infection and permanent damage. Contact lens production should pass strict hygiene standards. The fact that these are contaminated, means that these have undergone sub- standard processing and packaging.
3. THE "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" SHAPE OF THE FAKE CONTACT LENSES CAN LEAD TO EYE STRAIN AND DAMAGE.
- This is one of the reasons why Dorris developed an eye infection. Our eye shapes depend on what we're born with. Some eyes are flat, some are rounded. Some are small, and some are big. So contact lenses come in specific shapes and sizes to comfortably fit a particular set of eyes. If you're wearing the wrong pair, chances are, it could cause eye strain and bruising.
You may have a buffet of contact lenses to suit your outfit and mood, but you only have a pair of eyes to last you a lifetime. I have nothing against the contact lens trend, but bear in mind that you should never settle for anything less when it comes to dealing with sensitive body parts.
Disclaimer: The photos used in this entry are for the purpose of representation. These are not by the tv program or the tv station. These have been sourced from the internet. However, I did not include the names of the sites from which these have been taken from for the sake of protecting the credibility and integrity of the site/seller. If ever you come across a site/seller that bears any of the photos in this entry, please take note that these sites/sellers are not involved and have not been investigated in the tv program. Please purchase at your own discretion, as I am in no authority to authenticate any contact lens brand sold online.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.