REVIEW: ETUDE HOUSE BUBBLE HAIR COLOR IN DARK BROWN 2

Here's an initial review on Etude House's Bubble Hair Color in Dark Brown 2

PRICE: 378php
PLACE BOUGHT: Etude House, SM Megamall
OTHER LOCATIONS: Etude House stores nationwide

*This post is picture- heavy.





THE VERDICT:

Originally, my hair's color is Black. I've been sporting Brown hair for more than three years because it enhances my tan, and makes me look younger too.

Unfortunately, hair coloring services start at 1500php a pop, and price increases, depending on hair length. I'm the type who doesn't entrust my hair to any salons, except Henri Calayag and Basement Salon. A hair coloring service from any of these respective salons would usually cost me 4k. Oh woe is me! :((

Another bad thing: My hair has active growth, and it grows at least an inch from the root every month. Since hair coloring services are way too costly, I only have my hair colored twice per year, usually every 6 months. In a conscious effort to cut my beauty expenses, I've gotten around to trying quite a handful of popular supermarket hair coloring brands. And they sucked. For instance, Brand X's color didn't even stay for a month. Much worse, the color turned out really ashy and ugly.

I've had my last treatment around 7 months ago, and now I have two- toned hair. I've been wanting to dye my hair, but I'm feeling a bit stingy lately.

Etude House's Bubble Hair Color is the DIY Hair Coloring craze as of the moment. Almost all blogs I've read say that it's too nice for its price.


So after my Tony Moly event yesterday, I dropped by Etude House and picked up the Bubble Hair Color in Dark Brown 2.

This product is selling like pancakes. The only colors left on the shelves were Black and Dark Brown. The colors Wine Red and Natural Brown were sold out.


Hmmm. Judging from the shade representation, this might come off as a plain Brown shade. I'm expecting a Golden shade of Brown though. But heck, I already have it so let's see if this thing works.


Top (L-R): Hair color mixture; Foaming pump bottle+water solution
Bottom (L-R): Gears (plastic cape and gloves); Silky Perfumed Treatment (AKA Conditioner)

This is what you'll get from the kit. Please feel free to use this entry as a guide if ever you're thinking of purchasing the same product because....


The pamphlet in it, which is supposed to guide you through the process of hair coloring, is not helpful at all. There are image representations drawn at the back part of the pamphlet, but still, they weren't sufficient.

LET'S START!


First, wear the plastic cape around your shoulders. It's best that you do the deed without wearing any top at all to prevent staining. But if you don't like going nude (like me), you can use an old tank top or tee. The caveat of the cape is, it doesn't have any string or tape on it that will secure it around your shoulders. You can remedy this by taping the ends with a scotch tape, or secure it with clips.


Second. Open the plastic bottle. It has a water- like liquid in it, which is obviously not water because it has a strong, chemical smell.


Third. Twist off the cap from the hair color mixture sachet. Be careful not to spill the contents! Pour everything in the bottle. Be sure that you empty all the contents by squeezing the sachet carefully.


Fourth. Shake the bottle sideways. The liquid inside the bottle warms up as you do this. In some blogs I've read, they're religiously doing the same thing, so I didn't dare experiment with the mixing. I strongly suggest that you follow suit. Shake it for around 2-3 minutes to ensure that the liquid solution and hair color mixture are thoroughly mixed in. Set aside for a while to let the solutions fuse with each other.


Fifth. Wear the gloves.


Sixth. While waiting for the solution to settle, part your hair to ensure even application. Comb your hair too to get rid of kinks and knots for a breezy hair coloring experience.

Hair coloring is best done when your hair is dry. So make sure that your hair is completely dry before using the product.


Sixth. Pump out some of the coloring foam. Notice that the foam turned into a creamy white color. The first pump shouldn't be a lot. Gradually increase the amount as you go through the bigger and longer parts.


Apply the foam on your hair. Texture and consistency is like shampoo. So treat the whole process as if you're just shampooing your hair. :)

Upon application, the foam imparted a warm sensation, which isn't bothersome at all. Don't worry, It goes away after a few minutes. :)


Seventh. Here's a personal tip. Comb through your hair using your fingers so you'll be able to color each and every strand.

As your hair gets soaked in bubbles, it becomes stiff. It's natural because you're using a chemical- based product. Just comb through your hair as you apply the foam.


Eight. Once you have used up the whole solution, massage your head for a few minutes before letting it settle. Leave it on for 30 minutes, as instructed by the pamphlet. You may extend the waiting period, if you like.


Ninth. Pose while waiting. LOL.


Tenth: Play with your hair. This is my Madame Pompadour hair. LOL. :)


Eleventh. The product doesn't really require you to cover your hair with a shower cap. But I did because I slept before rinsing my hair. I've had a long day and barely had two hours of sleep! By the way, I extended the waiting period to an hour because I wanted the solution to color my hair thoroughly. I just thought that 30 minutes wouldn't be enough for the solution to coat all the strands.

AN HOUR AND A STAINED BED SHEET LATER....


Wet your hair with water and apply the silky perfumed treatment. My hair was as solid as a rock due to the coloring solution, but this treatment magically softened it. No need to shampoo your hair, as shampooing may wash the fresh color out from your strands. Just apply the treatment and rinse. Period.

Surprise, surprise, This stuff really works!

I threw in some comparison pics for you guys, so check it out!


Hair color's halfway black, and the brown color was near the tips.


Brown and golden, baby!


Well, the lighting sucks in this pic, but actually, the roots are covered in brown!


Overall, this stuff works like magic. It's an affordable way to color re-growths. It's very cheap, easy to use, and effective. I also love the fact that it doesn't leave a pungent chemical aroma, which is the case for salon- colored hair. I've shampooed my hair this afternoon, and the color didn't wash off. Amazing! Also, the color came off as a semi- golden brown shade, which is almost like my hair color 7 months ago. I'm happy that it turned out that way I wanted it!

It just took me half of the bottle's contents to cover my entire head, so you need not buy another kit because one bottle would suffice. However, I can't say for people with curly locks.

Yez. We have the same hair color, momma!

Final notes:

If you shampoo your hair the next day, it will still feel stiff. Just use a regular conditioner to soften it.


I'm diggin' this stuff! What do you guys think about it? Is it a Yay or Nay? Let The Beauty Junkee know! :D

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. I've read numerous reviews about this product, which I am very interested in, and so far your review is the one I like best! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mica: aww..Thank you Mica! Welcome to my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your new hair color looks good on you :) want to try this in natural brown.new follower btw :)

    Erin
    cerisepink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Martha! Which do you think is better for those who have colored hair? dark brown or natural brown? I have brown hair and the roots are showing na din. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bubble hair dyes. The best part is, the color somehow looks better as you shampoo your hair more. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin: thank you! :D I'm sure you'll love it. :D

    Jean: Hello and welcome to my blog! :D I had my hair colored too. :D Methinks that Natural brown will turn lighter than what's pictured on the flap. It depends on your hair color. If you had dark brown treatment, I recommend this one. Go for natural brown if your brown is light. :)

    Melvel: I'm lovin' it now. True. I've noticed that the color looked better after two days of shampooing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so nice. looks like it's very easy to use. do you think it's also made of safe chemicals? Im just very particular about my hair care..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chryztyne: Hello! :D To be honest, I'm not sure what the ingredients are since everything is in Korean. :p But I didn't experience any adverse reaction since last week, so I think it's pretty fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! :) I just want to ask about this..
    "Eight. Once you have used up the whole solution, shampoo your hair for a few minutes before letting it settle. Leave it on for 30 minutes, as instructed by the pamphlet. You may extend the waiting period, if you like."
    Like for real, you shampoo your hair before letting it settle? Like, there's the hair color foam on your hair and you put on shampoo? How does it work..?
    Thanks! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. karen: hello! sorry I forgot to edit that part. I mean, MASSAGE your head, as if you're shampooing your hair. Thanks for reminding me about the correction. Nope, no shampoo is necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now i am already convinced that i should try this product soon after your cute review Ms. Martha, i can barely see the results on your hair. Gonna try it kapag may budget na. hehe Looking great with that shade!

    ReplyDelete
  12. jenny: barely? I've provided before and after shots. :D This thing really works. :) Please try it. I really recommend it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bakit ko ba nasabing 'barely'?. haha ang shunga ko naman. mali ako XD my bad Ms. Martha! haha sabi ko na nga ba dapat di ako nageenglish eh. hehe yeah gonna try it soon. Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. jenny: no prob! I've had my share too! :D Lemme know how it goes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think u look better with jetblack hair :]

    ReplyDelete
  16. nyxie: thanks dear! but i like brown more because it amplifies my tan. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Martha! I've read your review a couple of months ago but I only got to try the product today coz of my hectic schedule. Your review was really helpful as the instructions given was useless as it was all in korean. Infairness this stuff really works! thanks so much for the helpful tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. pichay: hello dear! glad it helped you a lot. :D Happy New Year, and keep on reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to dye my hair brown this xmas break and after the break I will be dyeing it to etudes deep black? is etudes bubble hair color permanent and will the black fade and be back to my previous hair color(dye) which is brown?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to dye my hair brown this xmas break and after the break I will be dyeing it to etudes deep black? is etudes bubble hair color permanent and will the black fade and be back to my previous hair color which is brown?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)