The Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals Compact Foundation Review

Here's an initial review on The Body Shop's Extra Virgin Minerals Compact Foundation in 402 Natural Caramel

PRICE: P1695
PLACE BOUGHT: The Body Shop, Eastwood City, Libis, Q.C.
OTHER LOCATIONS: The Body Shop stores nationwide

DESCRIPTION (taken from thebodyshop.co.uk):


This cream-to-powder mineral foundation contains pure minerals and cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil for an immaculate, matte finish. It has an ultra-blendable formula and contains a custom brush for flawless application.
  • Medium to full coverage
  • Smooth, matte finish
  • Integrated cruelty-free brush
  • Contains SPF 15
  • Fragrance & Paraben-free





THE VERDICT:

Like all girl and boy bands, there will always be the most popular, most favored, and most sought- after member in the group. In the case of The Body Shop's Extra Virgin Minerals line, the star of the line is the Compact Foundation.

What makes this foundation extra special? Let's find out.

By the way, I got this on a promotional sale. It only cost me 1525php plus a membership card and 300php gift voucher to boot! :)


For NC42 gals out there, your perfect match from the shades is 402 Natural Caramel. It appears oddly light when I swatched it on my hand, but it blends perfectly with the skin on my face and neck.

The great thing about TBS's latest range is, they offer shades in Pink and Yellow undertones. So bye bye wrong shade!


The packaging is lightweight, but bulky. The compact is covered in a rubbery kind of material (Think Nars' packaging). The mirror embedded on the compact is quite huge enough for you to see your face. As for me, I'm better off with a bigger mirror.


The consistency of the foundation is like butter. It is very emollient, yet lightweight. Coverage is medium, yet it does a pretty good job in concealing minor scars and marks.

I beg to differ when TBS stated that it can be used alone since it yields a cream-to-powder finish. Since it has Extra Virgin Olive Oil in it, the overall texture feels a bit greasy. I didn't dare leave my house without setting this with a finisher. I might end up looking like as if I've been in an oil spill. However, upon blending, the cream starts feeling powdery. But still, I don't want to risk it because it has oil in it, and I have more oil to last me a lifetime.


Here's the compartment for the brush. It has a styrofoam- like bed for the brush in it. If you're going to ask me, I say ditch the bed for the brush because the foam will just cause bacteria to multiply!


The tapered brush is specifically made to complement your application.


It's made of synthetic bristles. They feel super soft, and the slimness of the brush enables you to apply foundation on every nook and cranny of your face. And another great thing: It's cruelty- free!

If you have this product, and you're having a hard time using the brush, a flat top brush should be a good substitute since it works well with cream foundations. A traditional foundation brush can also be used, but it will provide uneven coverage, not to mention it will require a lot of time and effort. I do not recommend sponge applicators because they're my least favorite make- up tool, and they absorb foundation.


Natural Caramel is a dark beige shade with yellow undertones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but methinks (and according to the SA) that this is the darkest shade from the yellow undertone range.

To use the product, simply swipe the brush on the foundation and apply in vertical strokes for an even coverage. I love the fact that the foundation dries quickly, blends perfectly and evenly, and is fragrance- free.

Regarding the ingredients, I think that it is too packed for a Mineral foundation. MMU purists out there might go berserk once they see the ingredients used to create this foundation. I'm no expert in MMU, but I think (and I hope!) that all the ingredients listed at the back of the compact are good and natural. I'm sure TBS will not sacrifice their company's integrity. And besides, they're known for their sensible and sustainable manufacturing.


Anyway. Let's go back to the brush.

The caveat of the brush is, it's so wide, that you can't help but smear some of the foundation on the compact. It's so messy! Since I pointed out that the brush will rest on a foam bed in the compartment of the compact, wipe it clean before storing so you will at least get rid of some bacteria. Rinse it clean at least once or twice per week.


Here's the foundation+finisher. I used a translucent finisher to set the foundation. Notice the subtle sheen? That's EVOO doing its job! It keeps your face moisturized during wear. The subtle sheen stays all day too! So ladies with dry skin, you have a new item in your wish list! :D

Girls with oily skin swear by this product. And count me in! It didn't streak nor fade during wear, and it didn't aggravate my oily skin. It took a good 6 hours before my face started to oil up. It has SPF 15 which to me, is a great thing. SPF 15 is good enough to keep the sun's rays from damaging your skin, and to keep you from having that nasty white cast on pictures!

Immaculate? Check. My face looks fresh and flawless!
Matte? Check. It goes so well with my skin type!


Off- topic: I'm lovin' the beach waves. How do you get them? Skip a day of shampooing.

I can see the reason why the compact foundation is the most popular product from the Extra Virgin Minerals line. A lot of girls have been longing for a cream- type foundation that doesn't look and feel like foundation. We all know that cream- type foundations give off a thick and cakey look. But in spite of these, we still love them for the amazing concealing and perfecting effects they give. So The Body Shop answered all our prayers, and they came up with a cream foundation that imparts natural coverage, whilst still retaining its concealing power that we all came to love. And knowing that it's Mineral make- up should be enough to convince you that it is worth purchasing one! This make- up is so good, you can sleep in it!

I am officially in love with Mineral Make- up. Physician's Formula started my new- found addiction, and The Body Shop strengthened it even more. Dear wallet, are you ready to fall in love with me? LOL!

What are your thoughts about the Extra Virgin Minerals Line. Love it or leave it? Let's discuss! :D

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. wow!of course I love it!..You look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. :) How much does it cost though? Might get one. :)

    Cat
    www.sinosicat.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look great sis! good to know this new cream foundie from TBS works wonders for your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. arra: thank you! :D Highly recommended! :D

    Cat: thank you and welcome to my blog! :D It's originally at 1695php, but I got it for only 1525php during their promotional sale. :)

    MMM: Thank you! :D You should try this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe if I hold on to my NARS sheer glow long enough, it would end the lemming before it gets worse. haha! Glad you like it though :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara: I'm also holding on to my Nars Firming foundation, but I'm glad I made the purchase. I think you should get it. It's a great foundation to sub your nars. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! i love it! been looking for foundations like this!! i swear, ang bilis maging oily ng face ko. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. maricar: This will work for you then, my dear. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)