Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Color in Old Hollywood Review: Dreaming of Old Hollywood

Hello girls! Sorry for the lack of posts. Believe me, I've been trying to post at least a PR entry, but my Globe Tattoo has been acting weird recently.

Anyway, I just want to share that I am a great fan of Old Hollywood. I love everything about the era from the music, clothes, lifestyle, films, pictures, and women. GLAMOUROUS is the perfect term to describe the roaring 1920's.

I recently watched the film 'Diary of A Lost Girl' starring 1920's sex symbol, Louis Brooks (Lulu). I can't help but admire the women of this period whenever I get to see them in films and pictures.

Another thing: I admire their make-up.


One of the era's most charismatic and popular actresses, Greta Garbo, was a huge fan of red lipstick. She would mix several red and black pigments to achieve a certain hue for film and pictures. It's pretty amazing how she was able to create different kinds of hues, given the fact that the movies and pictures before were in black and white!



Old Hollywood is all about flawless skin, strong eyes, and bold red lips: The perfect combination for a simple yet striking look. My love for Old Hollywood could be one of the reasons why Red is my most favorite lipstick color (and why I prefer eyeliners over eyeshadows).


Photo Credits: talkingmakeup.com

Here's a neat find from Bobbi Brown's newest lipstick range. It's called OLD HOLLYWOOD, and the shade is, what else? RED!

PRICE: P1,100.00
PLACE BOUGHT: Essenses, Powerplant Mall, Rockwell, Makati City
OTHER LOCATIONS: Essenses Makati; Essenses Shangri- La


THE VERDICT:

It's been a while since my last lipstick purchase. I've been meaning to get a new red lippie because I really can't make my Ruby Woo work. It flakes like crazy! Anyway, let me muse about that in another post.

Bobbi Brown's Rich Lip Color is a rich yet lightweight lipstick. The secret to each lipstick's true color payoff is the clear base used in the formulation. It's creamy, moisturizing, and has SPF 12 to shield your lips from the sun.






Here's Old Hollywood on my lips. One swipe is good enough to deliver a generous dose of color to your lips.


Sorry for the uneven and messy application. I was really sleepy while I was doing these mugshots.

Old Hollywood is a bright cherry red shade. It's somewhat similar to MAC's MAC Red, but not quite. It has no undertones, while MAC Red has violet undertones in it. IMO, it's a universally flattering shade of red. For newbies to the Red Lippie, you might want to check this out.

Upon application, the consistency is a bit wet. But after a few minutes, it dries to a satin-y finish that doesn't feel runny and watery. It didn't make my puckers flake. The lipstick sits on top of my lips, and it doesn't settle into fine lines. However, lasting power is good for just an hour or two, because the semi- wet consistency doesn't really allow the lipstick to stay put on the lips, unlike matte formulations.


So here's my fail attempt at looking like Lauren Bacall. :p


Someone wants to have his own mugshot too! :D

Overall, I like it. But the formulation could've been a bit matte, because I think Red looks better if it's matte. I'm looking forward to buying at least one more from the line soon. Maybe a peach- pink shade. If you have dry and flaky lips, a moisturizing lipstick like this should be good enough for you. But at least, this lipstick is a refreshing break for me 'cos I've been wearing a lot of matte lippies lately. I also love the name and the shade. It just reminds me of some of the things that inspire me. :D

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. I BOUGHT THIS! I fail at self control. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so sexy in those red lips! Missing you babe! :)

    PS: I'm a fan of old Hollywood, too. The actresses look soooo much classier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sara: harhar! LOL. :D I'm sure you'll love it. :D

    Dang: thanks! hehe. :D Glad to know we share the same love for old hollywood. Grabe no? They all look so classy, from starlets to superstars!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)