Sumptuous Sundays: Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen


Ramen’s making big waves in the country nowadays. Well, I guess it’s because Filipinos will very much appreciate a bowl of hot noodles and soup in this rainy weather. One of the newest Ramen restos in town is Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen.

Ikkoryu Fukuoka claims to serve authentic- style Japanese ramen. The restaurant originated in Japan, and has been around since the 70’s. All ramen dishes come with the signature Tonkotsu pork cut.

PRICE RANGE: P200.00- P500.00

The restaurant has this modern Dojo- inspired interior. You’ll see tons of these wooden planks in the restaurant with Japanese characters written all over them. I was told that these characters recount a love story and I don’t know what it is because I can’t read Japanese! :D

Click READ MORE to see my orders!


AJITAMA TONKOTSU- Or popularly known as #2. If you don't wanna bother saying the whole name of the dish and be at the risk of getting the wrong order, just say the numbers-they're written in the menu beside the name of the ramen. #2 comes with a slice of Tonkotsu (which is really tender, btw), two Japanese- style hard-boiled eggs, dried seaweed, mushrooms, and a special soy base. You also have the option to go for al dente (hard) noodles or soft noodles. The waiters recommend al dente and that's what I got. I actually liked it because it made the whole thing easier to eat.

The Ramen was very flavorful, but the entire thing was TOO OILY and when I started mixing the bottom, it became TOO SALTY. Ack!

There are also various condiments to enhance your Ramen. There's sesame oil (which you wouldn't be needing anymore since the soup's too oily, unless you wanna have a heart attack), white pepper powder, soy sauce, and vinegar, and sesame seeds.

There's actually a way of eating the Ramen, as suggested by Ikkoryu Fukuoka. You can find the instructions on the paper place mat. One of the suggestions is to add grated fresh sesame seeds into the bowl. Didn't make so much difference though, but I like sesame seeds.

IKKORYU ORIGINAL TONKOTSU- Known as Ramen #1 and my mom's order. It's pretty much like #2, but this one has bamboo shoots. Flavorful, but then again, TOO OILY AND SALTY!

GYOZA- Finally, a dish that I actually liked wholeheartedly. It's generously filled with meat and the carby flour wrap isn't too overwhelming

We actually called the attention of the supervisor and told him about our oily and salty concerns and he said that that's how authentic Japanese Ramen really is and that's how it tastes like. Uhm, I've been to Japan, ate Ramen there thrice, and I can clearly remember that the soup of the three Ramen dishes I had (from three different restaurants) were not super oily and salty-in fact, they tasted healthy. I don't know, maybe in another part of Japan, they favor oily and salty ramen, but please, have a little heart for the health- conscious. :p It's also odd that this Japanese restaurant does not serve hot tea. I might go back, but not anytime soon. :p

Post a Comment

7 Comments

  1. Aww im not a fan of oily and salty food..but i love soups during rainy seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate here with my workmates, we ordered the Black Garlic ramen and it was not oily but a bit salty. The gyoza is really amazing. I also love their Yakimeshi and Karaage. Sad to hear about the experience that you had, hopefully they will lessen the oil and salt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should be house tea and it should be free. :)

    For japanese cuisine nothing beats Watami for me. :) I really really love their sukiyaki .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember my very first Ramen addiction way back 2004 when I visited the beautiful country of Japan. Oh, boy! I nearly forgotten my name when I first tasted it. I forgot the name of the restaurant. haha. i love ramen so much and I'm glad there's so many restos in here that sells ramen. Like this one. Thumbs up for Japanese Cuisine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it comes to soups, talagang japanese ramen is the best! I also like it that they serve in a large bowl na parang nakakalunod tignan, hehe. Their Ajitama Tonkotsu really looks delicious, it is one of the best to eat specially in a rainy weather like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gyoza made me drool! would love to try this resto out. Thanks dor the yummy mouthwatering review. Hahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten here just two months ago, their ramen is delish!

    Also, have you tried eating at Hokkaido Santouka Ramen? They have the same price range as Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen, but they're more into Ramen sets (ramen with sushi, etc). :3

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)