HOW TO: The Korean 12-Step Skin Care Regimen
I believe one of the reasons why a lot of people are so into Korean stars (or anything Korean for that matter) right now is because they have enviable, petal- soft skin that's so otherworldly. Admittedly, I, too, admire the look and texture of their skin-even if I'm just staring at them in glossies, on TV, or on billboards, I could already 'feel' how nice their skin is!
Not in the photo: Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Serum
What's their secret? Well, it's not really a secret-it's hydration, the core of Korean skin care regimens-this has just reinforced the fact that Hydration is the key to nicer, healthier- looking skin! Aside from that, they have long, meticulous skin care routines too. To give you an idea, the most basic is the 10- step regimen which is comprised of 10 skin care products and the extreme one is the 14- step regimen, which is comprised of 14 skin care products-the skin care routine alone can last for 45 minutes to an hour!
The one I'm showing to you guys today is the 12- step regimen. How do they do it, really? What products do they often use? You'll find out after the break!
1. CLEANSING ONE: Makeup removal using Cleansing Oil or Cleansing Water. For dry skin, there's the oil cleanser, while for oily skin, there's the water cleanser.
2. CLEANSING TWO: A facial cleanser takes away the first cleanser along with impurities such as oil, makeup, and dirt.
3. EXFOLIATION: To allow better absorption of the succeeding skin care products, it is important to exfoliate. As we all know, exfoliation removes old skin that creates a barrier between new skin and topical skin care solutions.
4. TONING: Toning is the final part of the cleansing process-it removes deep- seated dirt and refreshes skin to boot.
5. ESSENCE: In essence, an essence is simply a toner with an emulsion- like texture, although other people may argue that it's entirely different than the former. Unlike toner that mattifies the skin, an essence keeps it moist and soft, which is very favorable for dry skin. Other essences contain a concentrated amount of nourishing mineral extracts so we could assume that it's like 'liquid vitamins' for the skin, if it ain't really a toner.
6. EYE CARE: Of course, this product keeps the eye area hydrated while treating it at the same time too.
7. TREATMENT 1: Different people address different skin concerns so we may need at least one or two targeted skin care treatments. In my case, the first treatment I use is for brightening and I specifically apply it on the areas with hyper pigmentation.
8. TREATMENT 2: The next treatment I use is a regenerating serum, which mainly addresses dull, tired, and unhealthy- looking skin.
9. MOISTURIZATION: A moisturizer is needed to seal the previous skin care products and prevent it from evaporating right before they enter the pores. Personally, I use Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Lotion-I use this instead of cream moisturizers because consistency is perfect for oily skin.
10. SHEET MASK: A sheet mask contains a generous amount of serum. Use it if you want to fortify your skin further, but I use it primarily for relaxation.
11. NIGHT CREAM- This is now the 'Mother Sealant' because it has a richer texture and consistency than regular moisturizer.
12. SLEEPING PACK- For the final step, they use Sleeping Pack to prevent every single thing that they have put on their face from evaporating, not to mention this product delivers overnight hydration to the skin too.
TOTAL TIME: 30 Minutes
So there! That's the Korean Skin Care Regimen for y'all! It may seem taxing, but some of the products featured like the Sleeping Pack, Exfoliator, and Sheet Mask, the Koreans (well most of them) only use once or twice a week-basically, it's just like my full- blown weekly skin care routine. Also, if you're going to look at all the products I have used, they more or less deliver hydration, the key component in a Korean skin care routine so it doesn't matter if you're using various brands as long as the products suit your specific skin type and needs!
So do you dig the Korean Skin Care Regimen? Have you tried? Are you willing to do it? Let's talk about it in the comments section below. :)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.