FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: Why Is The Nose Sometimes Darker Than The Rest Of The Face?


I just want to say that I love receiving questions for my Fan Mail Fridays segment because it makes me realize that beauty is a vast world and there are more interesting things that I have yet to discover and write about, like this question from Aby:

         Hi Ms. Martha,
I’m an avid reader of yours and I’m so glad to have met you in person during Ms. Liz’s event. 
Anyway, I have a darker nose complexion than my whole face. It started way back in high school. I just noticed it when one of my classmates asked why my nose is a bit darker than my face. What caused that and what can I do with it? Thank you. 
 Aby
Photo Credit: deviantart.com

Hey Aby,


Nice meeting you too! I know that you're one of my new and very consistent readers, and thanks for approaching me during the event and allowing me to personally thank you for all the support you've given me last year and have been giving me this year. :)

When I first read your question, I was like "Why didn't I think of this?" Your question reminded me about this common issue that bothers a lot of people and I've been meaning to write about it, but for some reason, I always forget! :p Now's the perfect time to address this skin problem so click READ MORE and find out why most people have a darker nose than their entire face, plus I'll share with you some things that you can do to address it.



Aside from genetics, thickness of skin on the said area, skin conditions (both hereditary and non-hereditary), Blackheads, and skin habits, here are the top two reasons why the nose is sometimes darker than the rest of the face:

FYI, the face is the most vulnerable body part to UV rays and the nose even more so because it is the most prominent part of the face, thus it gets sunburned easily and quickly too. The other prominent parts of your face are the cheeks and forehead.


Photo Credit: howtogetridofblackheadsnow.org


I read that some people, most especially those with enlarged pores and oily skin, exhibit bigger, more prominent Oil Glands. Oil Glands are tiny Grayish-Black dots that come in clusters and somewhat resemble Blackheads-the ones on the nose tend to appear more obvious and they can greatly affect the overall tone of the skin on this area.

So there! Those are the two main reasons that cause this skin problem. It's not really a serious problem, but I do understand that it can affect one's confidence so here are some ways to remedy it:

1. Wear sunscreen and apply liberally on the prominent parts of your face such as the cheeks, forehead, and nose.
2. Exfoliate the skin on your nasal area at least once or twice a week to get rid of dead skin, whiteheads, and blackheads.
3. Use a concealer or foundation to unify the skin on your nose with the rest of your face.

I hope this post has answered your question, Aby. :)

**Got a burning question about makeups, skin care products, beauty, dieting, and health tips, relationships, and whatever? Just send them to martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com or shoot 'em up at The Beauty Junkee's FB Fan Page via the MESSAGE button and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. (Please, do not send me Math- related queries. :D)

Post a Comment

6 Comments

  1. Cool~ My chin and nose are a bit darker than the rest of my face but I didn't even think of my nose being a prominent area because it's well, not tall XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine is reddish =( after reading this i immediately look on my nose (haha)

    it is also one of my concerns (aside from being pango hehe) is my white heads and blackheads on it.. now im dealing with dark spots

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the info. i have big pores my whiteheads and blackheads is visible tlaga even i exfoliate. 😔

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super thank you Ms. Martha! Now I know why that happened. Medyo matangos nose ko, and di pala advantageous yun at times, especially sa skin tone. :) My nose pa naman is the one I care the least. Glad I don't have large pores naman, so it didn't aggravate the darkness of my nose. Thanks for the tips! I'll do them all, especially the sunscreen and exfoliation. Akala ko before just applying the same amount of sunscreen would do the trick already. Thanks again for the answer Ms. Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my nose tends to get red after sun exposure. Unfortunately, it's also the place where my foundation/BB cream first starts to come off. I sometimes look like Rudolph The Red-Nosed Raindeer tuloy. Luckily, it's nothing a dot of concealer and a few pats of powder can't fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacie: My nose is not tall too, but apparently, it's still the first thing that UV rays hit once you go out in the sun! :D

    Abegaill: You're welcome. :)

    Hanna: Oh, me too. Some people are just predisposed to it, I guess. :p

    Rhain: The nose is the most vulnerable part to redness too, fyi. :)

    Matromao: Thank God for makeup, right? :D

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)