In: FAN MAIL FRIDAYS
FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: How To Apply Skin Care In Order
Hello! It's the BF's birthday today and we're going to spend it in Stockton Place (giant steak, here we come!) followed by Star Wars. What are your plans tonight? Are you joining the force or do yo have to go someplace else?
Our FMF for today is from one of my avid readers, Charm. She asks about the right order of applying skin care products; what a timely question especially now that the new year is almost here and we need to rejuvenate so we can face 2016 with more confidence!
Hi Ms. Martha,
I would like to ask if I am doing my skin care routine right. After I wash my face, I use a toner and then face sheet mask (once or twice a week), and then serum, oil, and lastly, moisturizer. Am I doing it correctly? If not, what's the proper way?
Wow, you're learning from my blog! You've got all the essential products in your skin care routine and in terms of application, you're doing it quite correctly, except that face mask is ideally used at the end of the routine because it's the extra seal for all your products, plus the sheet acts as a barrier, keeping the products from evaporating right before your skin drinks 'em up. Also, just a tip, if you're using a moisturizer, no need for oil. Otherwise, it will be too heavy for your skin. I would suggest a thick night cream instead so you'll get the feel of moisturizer and oil in one product.
Is there really a right way to apply products? Not really right, but OPTIMAL way to apply beauty products; When you say right, it's like saying there's a right way of parenting when we all know for a fact that it all depends on circumstances; it's the same with your skin. Go ahead apply your beauty products in whatever order you prefer, but if you want a more strategic way to do it, then check out my list below. P.S. This is my order.
A.M. SKIN CARE ROUTINE
1. Facial Cleanser
2. Toner/Moisturizing Water
3. Moisturizer/Essence- allow to get absorbed before applying sunblock
4. Sunblock- this should be applied last because for sunblock to be effective, it should not be mixed with other skin care products to maintain its SPF strength.
HACK: Don't have much time? Opt for moisturizers with SPF!
1. Cleansing Milk/Oil
2. Facial Cleanser
3. Toner/Moisturizing Water
4. Serum- should be applied on hydrated, damp skin so it won't evaporate quickly.
5. Moisturizer/Night Cream- to seal the serum
Insert twice weekly in your P.M. routine:
- Facial Scrub: Right after Cleansing Milk/Oil; Right before Facial Cleanser (so your skin won't be too slippery, making exfoliation more effective)
- Wash-Off Mask (Clay or Gel): Apply right after Facial Scrub and Facial Cleanser
- Facial Sheet Mask: Use last in your routine as the mask will prevent the products from evaporating quickly from your skin while the extra hydration helps soothe the skin and support your other skin care products.
Hope this helps! Have a great weekend! Christmas is coming! :)
**Got a burning question about makeup, skin care, beauty, life, relationships, career, exercise, or whatever? Send 'em via the POWR form, email me at email@example.com, or message me at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE'S Official Fan Page.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beauty. Fitness. Fashion. Food. Travel. Unicorns. World Peace. Digify Corporation.