FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: How to Fix Foundations That Are Too Light For Your Skintone

Hola! Been busy today doing stuff for the house and I've completely forgotten to set aside time to blog today. But as they say, better late than never! :D

Today's FMF is by Chai and she has a makeup problem that I think we all have, especially morenas!

Hi Ms. Martha,
I realized that most of my foundations are too light for my skin tone. How do you remedy foundations that are too light for your skin tone? Appreciate your help.
Chai

Hi Chai!

Thanks for your question. You can't imagine how much this problem plagues me every time I'm sent a new foundation to try, I try foundations on counters, and try to make my existing foundations fit my skin tone, especially when I get darker after a beach trip.

Here are 3 ways that I do to make foundations that are too fair for my skin tone fit or somehow, make them look okay on me.



1. HAVE A SHADE MATCHING/SLIGHTLY DARKER POWDER ON HAND

- For me, the concept is just simple: If it's too light, then apply something that's dark to balance out /tame down the shade. But sometimes, it's not that easy because there is the risk of looking orange or gray as there are foundations and powders that have odd undertones. But most of the time, this technique works for me.

I advise you to always have a couple of powders that are slightly darker than your skin tone (just half a shade darker) and perfectly fit your skin tone. It's also best to have them in yellow undertones because it's the universal undertone.

2. FIX WITH CUSTOM FOUNDATION ADJUSTERS

- Thankfully, foundation adjusters are invented. The dark custom drops should help you darken the shade of your foundation without adding layers and layers of powder. However, the use is a bit limited as liquid is not only the foundation format available in the market, plus I am at odds with this product because I think it will affect the quality of the formula of the foundation you will use it on. But hey, nothing wrong with giving it a shot. Cover FX is one of the known foundation adjuster brands; affordable options are H&M, The Body Shop, and BYS.

4. BRONZE AND CONTOUR

- If you don't have the first two products, then the good ol' bronzer and contouring powder are always your best bets. You can bronze your skin all over or you can strategically contour your skin (temples, cheek plane, jaw line) to minimize light on the skin and bring focus to the center of the face.

Hope this article helps! Now you know how to deal with foundations that are too light for your skin tone! :D

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, skin care, fragrance, fitness, diet, blogging, career, marriage, or anything in between? Email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, message me via  Contact Form, or message me at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE OFFICIAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE.

Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. Hooraaay for bronzer and contour!!! These are my saviors to my current foundation which is too fair for me but I cant say no coz it was gifted to me. The darker powder works too but hard to blend sometimes as it gets uneven in some parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried putting on liquid Hoola Bronzer on the foundation that is lighter than my daughters skin tone, it works! Aside from the bronzing technique I know. But the first one I didn't know about that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shade matching powder? I do that all the time. Because assuming these are darker than the foundation you used, it should be able to tone down the whiteness of the latter effectively. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow meron palang foundation adjusters, I'll check sa h&m,body shop at bys,but the fast remedy ang gumamit ng bronzer at contour 😍 thanks for these ms. Martha may natutunan na naman ako 😘👏❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. My go to is always the number one option. So then, if i got a shade too dark for me, i should just mix it with a lighter shade right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use darker shades of foundation for natural and suntle contouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool! as for me, I want to do it, but always found it too tedious hahaha :D

      Delete
  6. I know nothing about the foundation adjusters, I guess I've been living under a rock these days LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? si cover fx nagpauso nyan :D mahal lang though :)

      Delete
  7. i think the easiest and safest way is to contour. yung light shade foundation could be the 'highlighted' part na lang hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fiona Aileen ValleMarch 7, 2018 at 8:03 AM

    Eto ang sagot sa mga tanong ko! I am a bit on the slighter dark morena and ang mga foundation ko maputi talaga. Salamat at may sagot naman pala at hindi kakaunting foundation lang ginagamit ko para di maputi. Thanks girl! 💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting too, girl! Same tayo :) Glad I helped you out. :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)