Review: Acca Kappa Beechwood Wooden Comb+Why I love it


Here's a review on Acca Kappa Beechwood Wooden Comb

PRICE: Around P900.00+
PLACE BOUGHT: Rustan's, Makati City
OTHER LOCATIONS: All Rustan's malls nationwide


THE VERDICT:

"Wooden Combs: So what's the fuss all about?", I thought. Ever since those pretty yet pricey Hua Mulan combs came out, wooden combs have sort of become a necessity. Lucky for me, because I am not the type who yields to trends easily. I am quite happy with my Springmade comb (which only costs P80.00 in supermarkets) because it does what it's supposed to do: rid my hair of kinks and knots. I really can't digest the fact why someone would need a luxurious comb. I mean, can it do things that my Springmaid comb can't do? I guess not. It's just a comb. Or--Maybe I get a free meal when I purchase it.

But in a private salon in Makati is where I have discovered the beauty and science behind these wooden combs.

I saw my hairstylist pull out a wide- spaced wooden comb with chunky teeth from his toolbelt. I have asked him what it's for, and why he's using it. According to him, wooden combs do not damage your hair because it does not cause friction at all. (Read: Static hair) It reduces hair breakage, and spreads products easily onto your hair. Wooden combs are less prone to bacteria as well. My hairstylist likes it so much because he said he comes up with cleaner styles and cuts with his wooden combs.

And to cut the long story short, I was sold to the idea and went to Rustan's to get myself a wooden comb. I was like "Sheesh. A thousand bucks for a comb? Oh well. Let's see if it's worth the fad."

Click READ MORE and find out what happened to our love story!


A little bit of history lecture: In ancient times, people would usually carve combs out of a chunk of wood. And this has inspired today's modern wooden comb. But back then, combs were pretty sharp, and they end up wounding the user's scalp. The modern wooden comb is smoother, easier to hold, compact, and more stylish than the former.

My hair is always in a crazy tangle when it's wet, and this is where the wooden comb comes handy. It runs perfectly through my locks without breaking my strands! Whenever I'm using my plastic comb, I'd usually hear my strands snap and crackle, and see a handful of hair strands on the bathroom floor. :( But with this Acca Kappa comb, I don't experience these anymore. It's also great to use if you can't spend too much time detangling wet hair.


Honestly, I don't know how it works on spreading natural hair oils on my crowning glory primarily because I don't know how that works. But I just trust that its doing its job. :)


Acca Kappa's wooden combs are made from reforested Beechwood trees. They are hand- finished, sturdy, lightweight, and very pretty. It comes in a lot of shapes and sizes as well. A wooden comb is best used by people with curly and long hair because it effortlessly detangles each and every strand.

Although beneficial, wooden combs require a little maintenance. Every month, you'd have to brush oil on it to preserve the material. This can be a con to those who don't have spare combs in hand, and who can't spare time to do such maintenance. Another con is its price-Wooden combs are quite pricey, and they can be considered as luxuries.

But I have no regrets with my purchase. It has saved me from going bald. It's a hair savior! But it's not for everyone. If you have short hair, you don't need to deal with a lot of detangling so plastic combs will do you just fine. But if you wanna treat yourself, then go ahead. Indulge.

And the comb and I have lived happily ever after.

Post a Comment

11 Comments

  1. Thanks for this post! Now I know why they're so expensive, will do my best to buy myself one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Martha! ang mahal naman ng wooden comb mo,akin bente pesos lang! haha..yun lang hindi ko siya magamit pag basa buho,walang talab eh..di ko alam dapat pala siya linisan using oil..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow very unique wooden comb I will put this on my WISH LIST :-) happy to read ur article I discovered many things on u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its a bit pricey and i cant have this because i have the tendency to lose things easily :(

    http://khyutee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's kinda nice and simple...but yeah the price is really luxurious..^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. indulge indeed... oh well if I have extra cash I'd get this, but I don't so I'll pass...LOL

    but this is actually interesting, it's something new that I've learned for hair care. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a little bit pricey but sometimes we also need to reward ourselves.I hope to get one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks plain and ordinary comb, pero may EPIC story pala sya! Hehe. Bongga!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i first heard of this comb during the exchange gift last holidays where we were allowed to provide our top 3 wish list. budget is 500php, and my officemate wrote the Acca Kappa comb -- and i was like "what? 500 pesos para sa suklay??" i searched the net and found out that this really has amazing benefits on your hair. informative post you got here, Martha. thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you use a soft toothbrush to clean this? I commute everyday so dust and grine stick to my hair at the end of the day. What soap can you suggest to clean this comb?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriga ako dito when I saw it in Rustan's, but I didn't go for it just yet. I'm still using the regular plastic combs and an ouchless Goody hairbrush. Might try this one of these days though...

    --Matromao

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)