FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: What To Do When Moisturizing Is Not Enough


Happy long weekend! This is the second long weekend that I missed due to work, but hey, you just have to count your blessings. :)

Our FMF for today is from Thea and she's asking:

Hi Ms. Martha,
I am battling with extremely rough patches on my cheeks. I used different moisturizers as well as facial oils, but nothing worked. I also avoided using foam cleansers and used cream cleansers and mild exfoliants. At 35, I am obsessed with anti-aging regimen, and I'm thinking if that is causing the dryness. Please help. Thank you!
Thea

Hi Thea!

Aww, sorry to hear about your case! It may seem hopeless because as you have said, you've tried each and every moisturizing product out there already and you're wary of what product you use, but there's always the silver lining in all situations!

That said, if moisturizing is not enough for you, here are some things to consider and do that might help alleviate skin dryness:


1. DRINK ENOUGH WATER

- 8 to 10 glasses a day is highly recommended for each individual, especially nowadays that it's so hot and humid. Remember, internal hydration is just as important as the external so be sure you got this perfect.

2. DO NOT SKIP SUNSCREEN

- The sun is one of the culprits behind skin dryness as it's sucking moisture out from your skin. Be sure to wear sunscreen in a moisturizing variant to keep your skin protected at all times.

3. SKIP EXFOLIATING PRODUCTS

- For someone with extra dry skin, exfoliation, even the mildest formula, can aggravate dryness. Skip chemical exfoliators all together and should you need to exfoliate, use a gentle scrubbing pad, Konjac sponge, or the good ol' cotton towel to remove dead skin cells.

4. YOUR ANTI-AGING INGREDIENTS MIGHT BE DRYING OUT YOUR SKIN

- What you said is true, that some anti-aging ingredients and regimen can be behind dry skin. Retinol, for example, if used excessively, can dry out the skin. 

Other anti- aging products as well may contains peeling agents and exfoliants that contribute to dryness. Be wary of the ingredients and always moisturize.

5. A SPOONFUL OF OIL A DAY SHOULD HELP

- If there's one useful trick that I learned from dieting, it's that a tablespoon of either Olive or Coconut Oil can help moisturize skin from within. Have it daily by taking it with coffee, on its own, or mix with food to get your dose.

6. OPT FOR PRODUCTS THAT ARE SPECIALLY MADE FOR DRY SKIN

- I'm talking about cosmeceuticals. Also, brands that are specially formulated for dry skin. Examples are Eucerin, Redwin, Aveeno, Cetaphil, and Bioderma to name a few.

If you have tried all these steps and dryness still persists, it's time to go and see your dermatologist.

Hope this helps!

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, cosmetics, fragrance, fitness, diet, blogging, career, love, or anything under the sun? Please send me a message via Contact Form, email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, or message me at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE on Facebook.

Post a Comment

6 Comments

  1. Thanks for this tips Ms M, very helpful. Hindi ko pa nasusubukan ung pag take ng spoon ng oil. Pitsel pitsel nga ako uminom ngayon, grabe ang init, still breastfeeding my bunso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thea,I hope you'll find a product that would suit your skin and sooth your dry patches too. Do try using one product at a time and see if it will work for you. It takes a while to know if a certain product will truly work for you. Or maybe try the organic ones that is made for dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following advice number 1. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I testify with water and proper hydrating diet...my skin is on VERY OILY side that even benefit porefessional slides off my face. Anyway, my oilies is controllable when I hydrate properly I opt for plain water rather than colored drinks and PLEASE skip the Soda they suck you out of moisture and fill you with sugar.

    Even though I'm oily skinned I skipped toners with alcohol and I opt for hydrating toners I just notice my skin is producing more oil if I use alcohol based toners.

    One more thing I think I got it here from Ms. M that good ol' water is her best moisturizer so what I do... Is that I mist my face before putting on my moisturizer that way the natural moisture of my face will be sealed by the moisturizer (I think I'm being redundant here lol) that way my oilies is much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. Everything here is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna try micellar water as well as my skin is a combination type, it has oily and dry parts and it also has discoloration around the mouth area coz it's peeling when the weather is cold. I am looking forward in your vlog or blog about your routines. But for anti-ageing products, when is the best time to use it? But I guess having an oily skin is much better than dry.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)