Pat McGrath Labs Mothership ii Sublime Eyeshadow Palette brings out all your creativity

Pat McGrath Mothership Sublime 2 Eyeshadow palette review, swatches, price


PRICE: P8,000
FROM: Free
OTHER LOCATIONS: Available at sephora.ph

THE VERDICT:

When I grow up, I wanna be like Pat McGrath...or at least be her righthand backstage. I've always admired her work; this is no secret as I always profess my love for her creations on my Facebook profile. When I learned that she launched her very own makeup brand called Pat McGrath Labs, I was floored; I thought to myself, I have to have her makeup because that's the way fangirls are lol! But no, seriously, when I discover that my favorite artists have their own products, I always want to support to repay them for inspiring me and it's always the nearest thing to getting acquainted with them.

The Mothership Palettes are the first products of Pat McGrath Labs that caught my eye; it has been on my must- buy list for the longest time now; I recently got a sample (hooray!) and have been using it ever since; this curated palette of dreamy pigments and colors is so easy to blend and there's so much to do with it either on its own or when used in conjunction with another palette, plus it's the closest thing to experiencing how Pat McGrath does her iconic eyeshadow looks.

Mothership ii Sublime Eyeshadow Palette Ingredients
Mothership eyeshadow palettes collection features high intensity eyeshadows in matte, pearl, shimmer, and glitter finishes. This permanent eyeshadow collection features 4 pillar color combinations and comes in a set of 10 and set of 6.

If you will look closely at the ingredients list, you will discern that there's no one formula for the eyeshadows; there are about 6 and I believe this is what gives the eyeshadows their own unique payoff, use, and it's what makes them complement each other and versatile enough to be used with other palettes. Let me get into the quality of the eyeshadows later on, but for now, let's adore the packaging. <3 p="">

The eyeshadow palette is a heavy acrylic material; solid, double- layered casing with a chest- like feel; it's beyond luxurious and very heavy; it's the heaviest palette I own, therefore it is not travel- friendly. The heavy body of the palette houses the eyeshadows well, although I don't think it will protect them from a fall. On the outside, PMGL's mini metal plates are placed on the center and the palette seals with a soft magnetic closure.


The product is encased in cardboard packaging with solid artwork; each artwork is unique to the palette, making it easy to graphically remember the Mothership palette variants. As I've said in my Pat McGrath Lust Gloss review, packaging is one of the reasons why I love this brand!

On the inside, there is a faceted mirror that's huge and provides the right magnification; it's also very clear, much clearer than some of the pricey eyeshadow palettes I own; that's some high quality mirror right in there!

The faceted mirror, I find, is not just there for design; it actually focuses your gaze to the central mirror, allowing you to focus more when applying eyeshadow.

Mothership ii is a warm- toned palette that's perfect for morena skin and it's predominantly glittery and shimmery; the mother of all makeup artists, Pat McGrath, is a known lover of all things shiny and glossy, thus the selection. I also went for this palette because of that gorgeous emerald green eyeshadow. 

All of the Mothership palettes are abundant with glitter and shimmer so if you're the classic, matte lover, you will not be too fond of this palette.

EYESHADOWS SWATCHED DRY
L-R: Skinshow Glow (1), Copper Toned (2), Iconic (3), Bronze 005 (4), VR Nectar (5), Xtreme Black (6), Dark (7), Blitz Emerald (9), Astral Ghost Orchid (10) 
Rose Dusk (8)

Skinshow Glow- milky pink with white pearl (metallic)
Copper Toned- peachy light copper (metallic)
Bronze Seduction- golden bronze with pink shimmer (metallic)
VR Nectar- chromatic light pink and champagne (glitter)
Xtreme Black- black (matte)
Dark- reddish brown (matte)
Rose Dusk- chromatic deep rose (metallic)
Blitz Emerald- deep emerald with lilac/green shimmer (glitter)
Astral Ghost Orchid- chromatic icy white with lilac and champagne (glitter)

The shadows in this palette are split into two categories: 1.) Powderluxe- the classic mattes, glitter, and metallic. B.) hybrid pigment type with multi-dimensional, holo finish; the latter are the ones that have high glitter concentration and dual chrome finish. Generally, these shadows are powdery in texture, but have the smoothness and payoff of a creamy powder eyeshadow.

The glitter shadows are the bomb and they're my favorites from the palette! It's the first time I encountered glitter eyeshadows that are true to what's advertised, pigmented, and adhere well on the skin even without primer. You can use it without primer and it will stay for a couple of hours because the shadows have a slight staining effect, but if you want your eye makeup look to stay vibrant and intact the whole day, a primer is recommended.

Look at that shimmer! YASSS!
I read somewhere saying that the eyeshadows can be applied wet or dry; I've only been using it dry because you guys know how much I dislike wetting eyeshadows for hygiene purposes, plus I don't want to get those ridiculous dry water patches on the pans.

Okay fine, for the sake of trying, here's wet application of some of the shades. Lawrd have mercy...look at the pigmentation! Improved by 200%!

But even without wetting the eyeshadows, they're already pigmented enough if used dry. As you can see in the dry swatches above, the products transferred smoothly onto my skin with consistent payoff, with the exception of the matte eyeshadows (but don't be so quick to judge the mattes because they feel like velvet matte and it's what makes them so easy to blend). The eyeshadows, particularly the glitter shades, are more of pressed pigments; compared to other commercial eyeshadows that seem to be laced with fillers just to increase volume and price, I primarily got pigment from Mothership ii that's why the eyeshadows have better adherence; it's non- chalky and yield no fallout as well.

I'm also happy to report that I didn't get those dry patches on the eyeshadows after using them wet. I think I might consider using wet application with my Mothership!

Let's put it to the test:

Blitz Emerald + Xtreme Black + Rose Dusk +Skinshow Glow + VR Nectar. Lipstick is Pat McGrath Mattetrance in Flesh 3
There are two ways to apply the eyeshadows, from the mother herself:

1. Use a brush, of course.

2. You can also definitely use your finger, most especially with the hybrid pigments (Blitz Emerald, VR Nectar, Astral Ghost Orchid, Bronze 005). The pigments respond to the warmth of the skin, making them adhere easily either by swiping or pressing.

As for the matte eyeshadows, you can definitely use them wet, but I wouldn't suggest it because they will get too pigmented, making it harder to control the pigmentation and payoff; it's good as it is.

Here's a close up. Despite how pigmented the eyeshadows are, they don't look chalky! What sorcery is this!? I also used the finger technique for Blitz Emerald and pressed it on top of Xtreme Black. Xtreme Black, btw, is a really good black eyeshadow; it doesn't turn gray when blended!

Dark + Skinshow Glow + VR Nectar
One issue that I hear from most people is they find that the Mothership eyeshadow palettes are not newbie- friendly and great for everyday. Here's an everyday look I created using the palette. It can be great for everyday, but I don't think you would want to spend P8,000 for an everyday palette!

Based on observation, I think Mothership eyeshadow palettes are conceptual, accent palettes; you can use it on its own if you love bold, statement colors or mix them with basic palettes if you want an overall wearable look with just a light touch of the extraordinary. What I love about the palette is the audacity of the shades encourages you to dig deeper into your creative side and explore looks, discover textures, and wear colors you've never worn before. I also think that the palettes are designed based on the way Pat McGrath would use her eyeshadows and they're a culmination of her techniques, years of experience, and best formula ideas; it's like a second hand experience of being made up by Pat McGrath!

IS THE MOTHERSHIP EYESHADOW PALETTE WORTH IT?

I won't lie, I choked when I learned that it's P8,000 for this palette; it's definitely a luxury product.  For makeup lovers, when you finally hold the product and experience the eyeshadows, you will understand why it's priced that way; the eyeshadows are truly unique and no kidding, I've never encountered eyeshadows like these that have beautiful chromatic, evolving finishes. Pat McGrath is wise enough to know that for this price, consumers will want eyeshadows that are beyond pigmented and good for everyday.

But then again, do we really all want eyeshadow palettes like this, especially if you are just an everyday makeup kind of girl? Now this is where I tell you that Pat McGrath Mothership eyeshadow palettes are worth the purchase if you are truly a makeup lover and also, a makeup artist; I can imagine makeup artists loving the palettes because the eyeshadows will really upgrade any makeup look. If you just want something good for everyday use, then this palette will come out too expensive for you. If I were not a makeup lover, I wouldn't seriously give this product a thought because of the price tag, but since I am, I am definitely living for it and I'm eyeing the MET or Subliminal palettes as the next ones to add to my collection; or probably the smaller Mothership palettes for everyday.

Speaking of small Mothership palettes, Pat McGrath was again, wise enough to realize that her palette of 10 is just way too pricey for most that's why she released the palette of 6, mini versions of the permanent Mothership eyeshadow palettes. I noticed with the mini palettes, the selections are good for everyday use so if you are just an everyday makeup gal, then I would suggest go get one of these because these eyeshadows have personality and one of the best formulas I have tried.

To sum up everything, I love Pat McGrath's Mothership eyeshadow palette because it's more than just pigmented; this palette has personality and I'm living for the glitter shadows, plus overall quality is great: blendable, long- lasting, and can be used wet or dry without harming its quality!

GET PATMCGRATH AT SEPHORA.PH AND USE MY CODE MARTHA TO GET 10% OFF UPON CHECKOUT.

PAT MCGRATH MOTHERSHIP II SUBLIME EYESHADOW PALETTE RATING

Please visit SEPHORA PHILIPPINES on Facebook for more information. You can order the product HERE.

Post a Comment

9 Comments

  1. I love the looks you’ve created!!! Sana matry ko din yaaaan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maharlika pero grabe ang ganda 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgeeee muntik ng matapon yong coffee ko😊 .. any dupes for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the glitter eyeshadow, I can't think of any because it's so unique! As in pure pigment talaga!

      On the other hand, for the regular mattes, palettes like Urban Decay and Huda Beauty are good alternatives. :)

      Delete
  4. very pigmented! ang ganda naman nya sa eyes, warm lng sya khit makapal, works fine and will do great pg tlgang magaling blend mo. overall good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonna Cielo: I see the product rate. Pricey sya pero ang ganda nya perfect ng mga shades😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish to have the same make up skills as you Miss Martha! Super lovely.. :) This eyeshadow palette looks so good but sooooo pricey.. sana may dupes.. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ay grabe sa price! pang make up lover or artist nga lang ang mga ganito. 😅

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fave color po is emerald green to mint green😊😊😊.
    And I am a fan of glittery eveyshadow i do love to enhance my chinita eyes po kasi😁..
    Grabehan ang price pero worth it naman ang product..
    Hmm ikaw po Ms. Martha would you want din po ba to have your own makeup line?or any products related to beauty and health?...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)