FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: My thoughts on Halle Bailey as The Little Mermaid?


I literally have to drag myself to Crossfit today. It's been a month since my last exercise, but before I go deep down into the rabbit hole, I shall take a bath in a few and sweat it out later!

Ending the week with this question from Eunice and she asks:

Hi Ms. Martha,
What are your thoughts on the recent casting announcement for the live action remake of The Little Mermaid?
Eunice

Halle Bailey as The Little Mermaid
Photo Credit: Capital Xtra
Hi Eunice!

Interesting question for Fan Mail Fridays.

So yes, Disney has announced that Halle Bailey will be Ariel in the new live action remake of The Little Mermaid; of course this was met with criticism from Disney fans who say that they're "not" racists, but just want Ariel to be white with red hair, just like in the cartoon. 

Clearly, there's an underlying issue regarding race and skin color in here.


I am totally okay with Halle Bailey as the new Ariel in the up and coming live action remake of the Disney cartoon because:

1. Entertainment is one of the biggest keys to shattering discrimination and racial barriers.
2. This is an opportunity for little girls of color to find another heroine to identify themselves with.
3. The movie is sending a message that whatever your skin color is, you can be a lead and you can be a hero, especially to little girls of color.
4. For so long, a lot of movies have been whitewashed and this move by Disney is a huge move to change that.

But to be honest, I don't really mind if the new Ariel is white, black, brown, Asian, American, Arabian, or anything; this is a musical movie and I want her to act well and most importantly, sing well!

What are your thoughts on this?

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, skin care, fragrance, fitness, blogging, career, marriage, relationships, or anything under the sun? Email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, message me via CONTACT FORM, or shoot me a message at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE OFFICIAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE.

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. Same thoughts! As long as she sings well and renders the famous Haaaa-haaaa-haaa singing of Ariel then she fits the part. I hope you guys got which part I'm referring to hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you answered my question po. Thank you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Very well answered Ms. Martha! No to gluta 😂 It doesnt really matter what color you belong...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)