HOW I CLEAN MY BRUSHES

They say that nothing beats the effectivity of washing with soap and water than rinsing with hand sanitizer or alcohol when it comes to fighting germs. And I think the same principle applies to everything that deals with cleanliness, even to washing brushes.

I do not spend money to buy myself a brush cleaner, because I don't like the bubbles and residues that it leaves on my brushes. It makes the brushes feel sticky after drying. And having a brush cleanser gives you reason to slack off from washing your brushes with soap and water.


Things needed for washing: water, dish, joy dishwashing liquid, tray, towel.



My brushes, patiently waiting while I prepare their much- awaited bath. :)


First, I wet my brushes.


Then I dip it in a dish with Joy antibacterial dishwashing liquid. Why do I use dishwashing liquid to rinse my brushes? First of all, it's anti- bacterial. Secondly, it's cheap. And third, it doesn't make my brushes soft, and lastly, the odor of the dishwashing liquid does not stay. It evaporates as soon as the brushes are dried off completely.

Make sure that you carefully and thoroughly rinse your brushes.


Brushes cleaned! I place them on a tray with a towel for air- drying.


I air- dry my brushes. :)


I let my brushes dry for around 30- 45 minutes.


And my brushes are already clean and ready for work! :)

PRO TIPS (COURTESY OF JIGS MAYUGA, MAKE- UP ARTIST FOR L'OREAL):

- Do not clean your brushes with shampoo, nor finish the rinsing off with conditioner. It'll make your brushes soft, therefore making it lose its shape and effectiveness.
- Make sure that you clean your brushes every week with soap and water. If you are using your brushes everyday, a brush cleanser can be handy, as soap and water rinsing can be time consuming. But make it a point to rinse your brushes weekly
- Make sure that your brushes are completely dry before storing them. Storing your brushes while still damp can trap pungent odor, stickiness, and attract bacteria.
- Make sure that you let your brushes lie down when drying them. Drying them in an upward position can lead to further damage. The excess water will go inside the ferrule, which will contribute to the loosening up of the weaves and stitches, then it will lead to hair fall and shedding.

Post a Comment

9 Comments

  1. Woah. I use shampoo (the clear ones you can buy in gallons at supermarkets)! For some reason, I've always thought brushes are supposed to be super soft! Eeek. Buti na lang they haven't been shedding. Will try your tip next time! - Trace

    ReplyDelete
  2. trace: hi trace! thanks for reading. :) got these tips from jigs mayuga. and my suesh brushes are still sturdy and working perfectly fine after 3 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Martha! Your blog served as a reminder. Immediately set into washing my brushes after reading your post, haha! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! and now you changed my belief...I've been deep cleansing my brushes with a conditioner! Oh my, thank you for this wonderful tip! Will clean my brushes tomorrow with this...
    just a question, since the brush is a little stiff, isn't a little itchy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. zaya: no problem sis! :)

    debi: nope, if your brushes are made of authentic animal hair, then it shouldn't be a problem. :) it's real hair, so it goes back to its natural feel and texture. :)

    cheap, synthetic brushes might feel scratchy and itchy after washing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. does this work for puffs too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yan ba yung mabangong joy? yung amoy baby.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)