UPDATE ON HOW TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR LONGCHAMP LE PLIAGE

In Dana Thomas' book 'Deluxe: How Luxury lost its Luster', she thoroughly explained in one of the chapters that most brands have outsourced labor to Asian countries to keep up with the worldwide demand. Labor and production cost is relatively cheaper and faster in Asia. Unfortunately, it is slowly killing the European bag artisans.

And the price the brands have to pay Globalization?

COUNTERFEITING.

Longchamp is one of the brands that gave in to Globalization. So most of the Le Pliages you see are either made in China or Tunisia. You'll rarely see Made in France Le Pliages nowadays. The more expensive styles, the Planetes, Darshans, Arbre De Vies, and the likes are still Made in France. Soon enough, production will be outsourced to Asia.

I was so shocked to find out that fake Longchamp bags bear almost ALL of an authentic one's distinctive details.

Word of caution to everyone. A CARE CARD is not a tell- tale sign that a Longchamp bag is authentic. Because hell fake Longchamp Le Pliages also have care cards!


Four cards versus one. Can you tell me which is fake?



If I've included the care card on the right to the care cards on the left, you would suppose that all the cards are real. But the fake one is revealed if you unfold the cards.

The care card on the right one is from a hell fake Longchamp Le Pliage. It is folded in four sections, and they do not bear the 'How to fold your L Pliage' image representation.

So let's read what's inside the fake care card:


In care cards from real LC's, the style of the bag in all four languages are printed on the first section of the inner part of the care card. But on the fake one, it ate two sections of the card. Here's the extension:


Check out the German phrase. It says: SYNTHETIK RINDSPALTLEDERBESATZ. Wtf?! No such German word. On a care card from an authentic Le Pliage, it says: SYNTHETIK RINDLEDERBESATZ.


The instructions on 'How to care for your Le Pliage' on authentic Le Pliages are printed on the second and third sections of the inner part of the care card, and are in four languages. On care cards from fake Le Pliages, the instructions extend all the way until the back part, up to where the 'How to Fold your Le Pliage' is supposed to be. Check out the care instructions on this care card from a hell fake Le Pliage:


Second section


Third section.

"If dirty, clean the fabric...". I'd like to quote Microsoft Word's Spelling and Grammar checker on this one: "FRAGMENT (CONSIDER REVISING)"!


Fourth section


And right at the back part of the care card from the hell fake Le Pliage, the website link is printed. But click on the pic and check out the code on the lower left part of the card. it says P070. On the care cards of my authentic Le Pliages, they say P0761-2. I'd like to assume that the code should be written in this manner because this is true for all my care cards from authentic Le Pliages, regardless if they're small medium, or large , and have long or short handles.


The front part can really mislead a buyer. I compared it with the stocks I'm selling and the colors of the fake care card appear more vibrant than the ones I'm selling. But it doesn't matter. It's still fake!


So if you're eyeing a Le Pliage on Ebay and the seller only shows you a pic of a folded up care card, ask the seller for a pic of the care card when laid open. If you see four sections, BEWARE! It's fake!

But even if I didn't spot the care card right away, the hell fake Le Pliage I got from Ebay (the bag bearing this fake care card) shows tell-tale signs right after I unfolded the bag. It's supposed to be a Large Long Handle Le Pliage, but the size is that of a Medium Le Pliage, and the handles are too stiff and very short.

Just save yourself from the hassle and buy from authorized dealers and retailers. It's disappointing because this Ebay seller is a Power Seller and has a ton of good feedback. Good thing the seller offered me a refund because she's really standing by her belief that her Le Pliages are authentic! *sighs*

Post a Comment

17 Comments

  1. Your fake vs real blog posts are my favorite <3 Really helpful. I was wondering if you can make a post like this for Fitflops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous: thank you very much! Glad it helped you out. Regarding FitFlops, I can't say 'cos I don't have one. But if I get one, I'll try authenticating it soon! There are a ton of fake fit flops in tinges that look exactly like the real thing. The rubber on fake fit flops is such a giveaway. If your fit flops' rubber is too stiff and flaking, it's probably fake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, can i have a look on the authentic care card?

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous: hello! the pics showcasing the authentic care card is also in this entry. it's in the first and second pic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! you are claiming that a longchamp w/ a four folds care card is a fake one. I emailed longchamp.com regarding this and they replied to me that every manufacturing country has its own care card. Carecard is not the basis to authenticate longchamp handbags. you should research first before you post. giving assumption is different in giving wrong informatioN. THANKS! I KNOW YOU WILL NOT POST THIS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello anonymous and welcome to my blog. I have published your comment because I do not find anything offensive about it. :)

    Anyway, Yes, there are Longchamp care cards that come in four folds. And if I'm not mistaken, they are those from the LE LCs such as the
    anniversary edition metallic bags (Pewter, Blanc, and Bronze). Although I cannot vouch for other LCs because I only have the Metallic Pewter and Le Pliages. However, for
    Longchamp Le Pliages, they only come in 3 folds. This is accurate for Tunisia, China, and France- made Le Pliages.

    If you have read and checked the pictures closely, I have compared not only the sectioning, but also the words, phrases, and sentences written on the four- fold and three- fold cards. I don't think Longchamp will release care cards with errors in grammar and translation. After all, it is a luxurious brand, and it has to adhere to the strictest standards. :)

    I think what the LC representative meant is that every country produces their own care cards because LC outsources their production. But I think every manufacturing country should provide the SAME CARE CARD for a particular style.

    I have 8 Longchamp Le Pliages, and they all have 3- fold care cards with the same stuff written in everything. So I conclude that yes, a Le Pliage's Care Card MUST be accurate with other Le Pliages. :)

    I do not claim myself as an authority in authenticating Le Pliages. These are based on my observations as an avid fan of the brand. If you do not agree with what is written in it, I understand because everything is still up to your judgment.

    Hey, if you have more useful information and you think it is beneficial to LC fans, why not post it here? :)

    For more information about the care cards, you can also check Longchamp De Manille's multiply store. I think she also made a post on how to authenticate LCs. And if my memory serves me right, she mentioned in a post that Le Pliages that have four- fold care cards are fake.

    Have a great day, anonymous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your "spot the fake" series. it is true that i notice LC fakes and even for makeup like MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what if the bag passed your guidelines in your previous posts, but failed this one (about the care card), is the bag fake?

    hoping for your answer...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the tip! im really ignorant when it comes to identifying which is authentic and which is not, unless it's glaringly obvious ( like when the crocodile in lacoste looks more like an iguana or a lizard,hehehe, that i can spot), so i don't buy branded items, especially the pricey ones.

    your blogs are a lot of help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous: hello dear! Yes, a slight inconsistency determines the authenticity. No such thing as overruns for luxurious labels like Longchamp. :)

    Jakie: thanks dear! :D Hope this one helps. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. My authentic longchamp long le pliage in bilberry is my best friend when i travel.I can pack it up with usually 10-15kg. of baggage and have been using it for almost 4years pero hindi pa sumusurrender.hahaha! My mom bought it in new york.

    ReplyDelete
  12. unknown: hello! thanks for sharing! true! I sometimes use my LM large long handle metal as my gym bag, laptop bag, or an overnighter. And it's still in perfect condition. No regrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    Just wanted to say, now that Longchamp has released a leather version of the Le Pliage (Le Pliage Cuir), the care label that i received with this has 4-folds and more writing regarding the care for the leather. I bought this bag from a large respected department store, so I doubt it is fake, seeing as it is world known. The code on the back of mine says P1824, do you think mine is authentic?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi I would like to ask if LC LM has 4- folds care card? Also i saw this article that Green 6-page card card for the Le Pliage. Green 8-page card card for the Planetes & LM Metal.

    http://luxe-box.com/2012/03/01/how-to-spot-a-fake-longchamp/

    appreciate if you could reply to this post. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi.

    I would just like to ask if you have tips on how to authenticate LC LM navy blue msh bags? Would you kbow the difference between those that were made in china and those that were made in france? Thanks

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  16. please help. i bought two large (LH) from an ebayer, yup, she is a power seller too. i am a bit worried though because the price is half of the original price plus, one of the bags i bought has two plastic tubes showing from the handle. aside from that, all the signs look authentic, please please help. and would you tell me the ebayer who sold you the fake LC? might be the same one i bought the 2bags from. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I have bought this LC Neo from an online seller, the care card is 4-Folds but none of the text above (in the picture) is same with what is written in my carecard. I hope you can help me figure it out if mine was authentic or not..

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)