FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: Do I really need an essence?


Hola, TBJ Beshies! It's Friday once again and I hope you won't get stuck in traffic or it would at least be bearable for you! I'm staying near my place today and working from home because dealing with traffic before the weekend is the last thing i want to do.

We've got a question today from Joan to end our week at the blog:

Hi Martha,
So many skin care advice would tell consumers to use essence, but I've long been wondering: do we really need it?
Joan

Hi Joan!

Thank you for writing! That's a pretty good question!

When I started using essences, I saw why a lot would immediately incorporate it in their routine; it softened the skin, made it less dry, smoother, and much more pleasant to touch. Aside from these favorable effects, essence is also rich in potent ingredients and keeps the skin in an ideal state to absorb and retain other skin care products.

But is it really that important in a skin care routine?


In my opinion, not really.

You have to know that essence is actually serum; the former is a term in Korea to call serums. So technically, if you're using a serum and you use essence, you're just using two serums.

But nowadays, essence is considered a standalone product, something that should be used before or after toner to make skin more receptive to skin care. I don't really know how receptive the skin becomes when treated with essence, but for what it's worth, it may help. 

But I believe if you have a solid skin care routine that involves a serum and a hydrating toner, an essence may be an unnecessary step.

I use essence and have a couple of faves, but I admit I don't use it everyday and usage is highly dependent on "when I feel like it" or if my skin is particularly dry and needing extra hydration.

Essences can be a bit pricey since they're a 'special' skin care product; I say if you have the budget for it, go ahead and try it because you might like it or it may work for you; what's important all the time is you listen to your skin and only use what you need!

Hope this helps! Have a lovely weekend, TBJ Beshies!

**Got a burning question on beauty, makeup, fragrance, skin care, blogging, career, relationships, fitness, diet, or anything in between? Message me via contact form, email me at martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com, or shoot me a message at THE BEAUTY JUNKEE FACEBOOK FAN PAGE.

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. hydrating toner is more important! thank you for sharing kasi nalilito rin ako sa difference ng serum at essence.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree! Sometimes, I purposely do not put anything on my face after washing. It's like giving my skin a breather from all the skincare products.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)