How to apply for a US Tourist Visa in the Philippines + Useful tips!


New York. Photo credit: getyourguide.com

The American Dream- for most of us, America is the land of opportunity that's why according to one census I have read, a majority of overseas Filipinos are living in the US. I have a lot of relatives living in the US!

I love my country; my career, family, and husband are all here so I don't think I am moving anywhere anytime soon, but visiting the US has always been part of my bucket list; I want to see the Grand Canyon, explore New York, chill in California, see the stars in Los Angeles, swim in Hawaii, and so much more.

But to be able to do all of these things, I must have a US Visa. 

Filipinos are required to obtain a US Visa before visiting the USA and its territories, and luckily for me, I got approved so I'm sharing with you the step-by-step on how to process your US Visa requirements, what to do on the interview day, useful tips, and realizations in my 2- month long preparation for the US Visa interview.

The US Visa process is a long, arduous task because they have a lot of requirements and the application form itself is quite long. There are a lot of questions along the way also like 'which goes first' and 'how to do what' among other things, and gladly, a lot of my Blogger friends and friends helped along the way so I'm returning the favor to applicants by making this as detailed as possible.

If you're applying for an individual US Tourist visa and you're a Filipino based in the Philippines, read on:

THE APPLICATION

1. Go to the US Visa website by the US Embassy. Click HERE to go to the official website. Make sure to read all information pertaining to Non-Immigrant US Visa application before proceeding.

As far as I know, there is only one official website for the US Embassy PH (ustraveldocs) and one official website for US Visa applicants in PH (cgifederalforce).

2. Now click HERE to go to the Non-Immigrant Visa Application website.

Click LOG IN at the navigation bar. Click NEW USER if you don't have an account yet and create an account.

Now here is your dashboard.

Let's begin with the application.

3. Click NEW VISA APPLICATION/SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT and choose your Visa type. Choose NON-IMMIGRANT VISA.

Next, tick B1/B2, the classification for tourists.

Next, tick BUSINESS/TOURISM.

TIP: Remember to choose the correct visa type for your visit. Don't choose a visa type that you think is impressive, like B1. Otherwise, it will result to denial of your application if you won't be able to justify your choice of visa in the interview.

That's pretty much everything you can do at this point with the dashboard; for your profile, you won't be able to accomplish that without the DS-160 application number so proceed now to the accomplishment of your DS-160 form.

4. Click HERE and scroll all the way down to obtain the DS-160 form.

The DS-160 form can only be filled up electronically.

Fill up your DS-160 form TRUTHFULLY. They say that the US Embassy conducts their own background checks and intelligence, and they will find out if you are lying or if there's a discrepancy in your form, your actual status, and official documents among other things so don't attempt, be honest in your DS-160.

Any discrepancy in your DS-160 form can result to denial of your application.

TIP: If you can't finish your DS-160 in one sitting, save it. Take note of the application/control number located at the top right portion of the page; this also appears when you obtain a new DS-160. You will need this in case you can only finish your DS-160 later. The application/control number is only shown once on the website and cannot be retrieved anymore if you miss it.
I wasn't able to take note of the control number of the first form I downloaded so I had to request for a new form and it was no biggie. I also took note of the control/application number and tried retrieving a form I saved, but to no avail; the website kept fluctuating perhaps due to a system error so I just finished a new one in one sitting; took me about 45 minutes to finish and double check everything.

5. Produce two (2) 2x2 photos. Upload a 2X2 photo on the website. Click HERE to view their photo requirements; you can either scan or just take a photo using your smartphone as long as it meets their requirements. I took a photo of my 2x2, cropped it according to their required size, and uploaded it on the website.

Where will you upload your photo in the website? There is an outbound link when you finally get to the DS-160 claiming page; you just have to get past the CAPTCHA forms. Click that and upload your 2x2.

TIP: You need two (2) 2x2 photos; one for the website and one for submission during your interview. Technically, you just need one because you only have to scan/take a photo of it for online submission, but it's always best to have back- up. It is important to submit the same photo to the website and during the interview. 2x2 photos of you that are older than 6 months will not be honored.


6. After filing your DS-160, you will be emailed the DS-160 form with the confirmation number.

Go back to your dashboard, select UPDATE PROFILE, and complete your profile; you can finish this now because you already have your DS-160 confirmation number.

7. Pay for your US Visa application. Fee is $160 (Around P8,640 the time I paid). You can pay through bank deposit or online deposit.

Click HERE for BPI online payment
Click HERE for BPI bank deposit payment (for US Visa Fee Deposit Slip, click HERE)
Click HERE for Bancnet online payment

TIP: Once you get a reference number, that's it; pay for it. Don't change and pay for a new one to be sure because you will not be refunded.

After settlement, you will receive an email confirmation (if online) and a customer's copy of the deposit slip (if bank deposit). Do not lose the confirmation or deposit slip because you will need to encode this in the website to get an appointment confirmation and bring this to your interview.


8. Go back to your US Embassy dashboard and encode your receipt number/online confirmation number. The receipt number is the reference number (for bank deposit) or confirmation/merchant number (for online payment) issued to you by the embassy. Wait for at least five hours to a day for the payment to reflect before you can set an appointment.

TIP: Pay the US Visa application fee first before setting an appointment; this is the most common question among first- time US Visa applicants so there you go!

9. Finally, you can set an appointment.

Initially, the earliest schedule I got was two months after I applied. I got tips online that I should just keep on checking the website because schedules free up and I might be able to secure an earlier one.

You can only re-schedule your appointment for up to THREE TIMES excluding the initial schedule. You will get a notification on your dashboard for this. If you exceed the allowed limit of re-scheduling, you will be temporarily banned from the website for 30 days.

TIP: Don't stay on the website for too long and refresh the page frequently to higher your chances of getting an earlier (or later) slot. I did this and I got a notification saying "You have reached the maximum times you can view this page"; if I reached the limit, I will be temporarily banned from the website for 30 days. I called their customer service hotline and they said that I should check around three times per day only. I followed it and I was able to check for a new schedule and get the earliest one without any problem.

That's it for the application. To date, US Visa application has the most steps I've ever encountered and I had to learn everything step by step (with the help of friends!), but at least the US Embassy website is always up to date and generally functional.

THE PRE-INTERVIEW

While you are waiting for your interview day, prepare supporting documents. Click HERE for the recommended list of the US Embassy.

Here are the documents I prepared:

1. Certificate of Employment
2. Annual ITR (latest)
3. Bank Certificate (not older than 6 months)
4. Articles of Incorporation
5. BIR Certificate of my business
6. SEC Certificate
7. Certificate of Marriage
8. Birth Certificate
9. 2 previous passports
10. Photocopies of the info page and pages with visa of my 2 previous passports
11. Valid IDs
12. Latest passport

The consul did not check any of the documents I prepared; not even the staff at the gate of the US Embassy, but it's still important to bring these for good measure and in case the consul would need an official document or two to verify some information.

THE DAY OF INTERVIEW

1. Prepare and bring all your supporting documents and bring the following US embassy- issued documents: 

- Appointment Confirmation
- Customer Copy of deposit slip/email confirmation of payment
- One (1) 2x2 photo
- Latest passport

2. Here is the map to the US Embassy:


2. Be there 30 to 15 minutes ahead of your schedule.

3. Wear proper attire; the US Embassy is an office so please wear smart casual clothing. Best to wear a crisp button- down, slacks, and closed shoes. For women, wear minimal makeup because they do a lot of face scans during the interview.

4. You cannot bring any of the following inside the US Embassy. Click HERE for the list.

TIP: You will need someone to wait for you and guard your stuff while you are applying so ask a friend, family member, or special someone to accompany you. There are restaurants and cafes on the other side of the road such as Coffee Bean Tea and Leaf that they can lounge in while waiting.

There are people outside the embassy who will offer to look after your things for P200 only; I know someone who let a lady look after her bag and cellphone, and she was able to retrieve it without any problem. This is a last resort for those who really can't find someone to accompany them to the site, but I personally would not recommend this option. Avail at your own risk.

5. Be sure to eat, hydrate, and pee before falling in line; no turning back when you do.

THE ACTUAL INTERVIEW

When I finally met with a consul, here are the questions he asked that I recall:

Consul: How are you?
Me: I'm fine thank you for asking.
Consul: What are you doing in the US?
Me: I will go there for a vacation and my birthday. It's my birthday gift for myself.
Consul: Where will you go?
Me: Las Vegas. 
Consul: Do you have relatives in the US?
Me: Yes.
Consul: Are you visiting them?
Me: Yes. We are planning to do a side trip to (location of my relatives) to see them.
Consul: How long has your company been around?
Me: We just turned 4 this year.
Consul: What does your mother do?
Me: (mentioned my mom's position with her employer)
Consul: Do you know what her company does?
Me: Yes. (Mentions nature of the company)
Consul: Do you know what her company's initials stand for?
Me: Errr...sorry I do not know. (Chuckles)
Consul: (Mentions actual company name)
Me: Oh great to know! Thank you for the information.
Consul: Congratulations, you are approved. Please expect your visa in one week.

SUCCESS! The entire interview process took 2 hours; the actual interview, only 5 minutes.

I admit, I was a bit nervous, but it took me an hour to be interviewed so the nervousness died down already by the time I faced a consul.

After the interview (and if your application is approved), go back to your US Embassy account and choose your mode of delivery for the passport.

TIP: You can have it delivered or picked up. 2go is their official courier. I picked up mine so I can get the passport when I want it.

Hello, USA!

Everything went smoothly and I got my Visa 6 days after the interview. There are two types of US visas issued to Filipinos, if I'm not mistaken: Multiple (good for 10 years) and Single Entry (good for 6 months, if I'm not mistaken). I got a Multiple visa.

If your application is denied, you cannot refund the US Visa application fee; that's the risk you take, but it's worth it if you are approved. Just try and see what happens!

I'd like to end this blog post with some very useful tips that you can use in the interview:

1. BE ON TIME.
2. Dress properly.
3. Be patient. Sometimes, there is a delay during the actual interview because that's just the way it goes and perhaps other applicants needed to be verified further. Getting irked over something that you cannot control can affect your emotions and ultimately, your interview.
4. It's best to bring a copy of your DS-160 so you can review your answers before the interview. You have to mention the correct information you provided for some questions in the form during the actual interview.
5. If you are going to the US with someone, ask for their complete name, status, employer name, nature of work, number of working years with the company, and company position; the consul might ask for these during the interview.
6. It's best to have at least six digits in your bank account before applying for a visa. If less than P100,000, perhaps P80-90k should be enough, but nothing less than that.
7. If you are nervous, forgot a certain piece of information, or need to recall something, don't be afraid to tell the consul so they won't think of your stiffness or uneasiness as something suspicious. They will understand!
8. HONESTY IS KEY. Just be honest all throughout!

That's all! I hope I was able to help you with this guide in case you are going to apply for a US tourist visa, but please be reminded that the tips I provided will only improve your chances of getting approved, but the final decision is still up to the US Embassy.

And lastly, please do not entertain anyone who tells you that they can fast- track your US Visa application or process it with the embassy. As far as I know, the US Embassy is not affiliated with any third- party visa service agencies (saw it on the TV inside the embassy).

Have you applied for a US Visa before? What's your experience?

Check out my other Visa application guides:

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. I swear this has got to be one of the most informative posts I've seen about travel requirements! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I was reading this and there are so many things to do in order to get that US Visa. This is timely because I have been contemplating in my mind kung paano pumunta doon and how to do it. Thank you you're my saving grace. Will reread this again and make notes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So apparently, the receipt number is also the (merchant) reference number issued to you by the website if you're paying via BPI online. I keep seeing this question everywhere when I Googled for it cos a lot of people got confused with the terminology. Some say it's the passport number, but I think that's if you pay via bank.

    Sa wakas! I finally got my appointment and it's less than a month away! Thanks again for this Martha.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)