Review: MAC Brow Set in Girl Boy


Here's a review on MAC Brow Set in Girl Boy

PRICE: $18.00 (Around P700.00+)
PLACE BOUGHT: Duty Free, Philippines
OTHER LOCATIONS: MAC Stores: Trinoma, SM Mall of Asia, Powerplant Mall, Ayala Center Cebu, Glorietta 3, Shangri-La Mall, Makati City


THE VERDICT:

So here's my take on the "best- ever" brow set shade from MAC.

Actually, I didn't like it. :(

Off topic: Can I just commend my photo on top?! The lighting is so perfect and it looks like something you'll see on MAC's website. #Choz

Before I reveal my thoughts, let's look at the specifics first. MAC's Brow Set is a tinted brow mascara that can darken or lighten your brows. As the name implies, it really sets your brows, and keeps all hair strands in place for neat- looking beauty arches all- day long.



Wand's size is good enough to fit brows in all shapes and sizes. However, the wand has a tendency to collect globs of mascara so you would need the help of an angled brow brush or brow comb to take off the excess for a cleaner looking brow.


Consistency is mousse- like, and it spreads easily and dries up quickly too. Girl Boy is a gold-bronze shade that will fit fair- skinned ladies, and ladies with light colored hair. However, for morenas, it will look a bit off and fake, most especially if you have dark hair.


A lot of my beauty blogger friends use it on its own, but I find that it works best if you use it on top of a brow powder. (as pictured above) Girl Boy acts as a sealant, and it adds a nice touch of gold to my brows. I use it when I'm sporting smokey eye makeup looks because the shade sorts of dulls my brow's natural color, thereby emphasizing the eye makeup more.


If used on its own, it sort of flattens my hair strands and emphasizes gaps, making my arches appear thinner and sparser. (As pictured above) You can also see the color sticking out of my brows if you look closely, and it doesn't look nice!


Here's a comparison pic.

I therefore conclude that Girl Boy is not for everyone. And I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, in spite of its popularity.

It will work best on:

1. People with thick brows, and who don't need much definition
2. People with dyed brows (light brown ones)
3. People with light- colored hair

For morenas and girls with thin and sparse brows, MAC Brow Set in Beguile will work best on us.

Overall, it's still nice. Well, MAC, in general, has great products. It's just that me and Girl Boy are not meant to be. I wouldn't buy this shade again, but I'd love to try Beguile.

But is it worth purchasing Brow Mascaras? Well yes, if you're used to using it. As for me, I still prefer brow powders thankyouverymuch.

How about you? Do you have Girl boy? What are your thoughts on it? Share!

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. i have MAC brow set in Beguile, i use it on top of my MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Lingering..perfect pair for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree it looks good with brow powder on ;) thanks for the complete review about this product ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's currently what I'm using. I've been a MAC Brow Set Beguile user but find that my brows are still dark and I wanted to have lighter brows )especially when I had lighter hair color) but now that I'm currently sporting my natural raven hair, I guess I like Girl Boy coz it softens my dark brows (I like it better on top of a brow powder) I use a a quick one strand application so as to blend and set lang the brow powder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sayang you didn't like it! Me naman I'm happy with it!
    i think beguile would suit you better nga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost bought one din sa Duty Free sis buti nlng the sales assistant told me na hindi bagay sakin. Naimbyerna pako ng slight..haha! but I guess she was being honest..I have black hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girlboy works best for NC20-35 skin, for NC 40 up try beguile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. carl: hi there! thanks for the tip. I was actually told that Beguile would suit me more. Guess I was too hard headed. :D

    arlette: I admire her then. The SA told me that Girl Boy will look nice on anyone. phooey :p

    cai: glad to know you like it! :D

    carizza: and thanks for dropping by!

    jackie: hello there pretty mommy! thanks for sharing. :D I was about to try the quick application thing you stated, but realized that I've already sold this thing. :D

    menchie cua: hi there and thanks for dropping by TBJ! Will check out those stuff. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review again Martha! I love this product! I use it everyday and just like you said, it works best on top of brow powder.

    What I actually hate about this product is the spoolie. It carries a lot of product which is normally more than what you actually need. What I would do is transfer an ample amount in a clean spoolie and use that instead. When I use that method, the product works (less hair sticking out) even for a morena like me. Hope this helps. :)

    http://makeupbyglacey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)