FAN MAIL FRIDAYS: Repairing damaged hair


Hello everyone! Welcome again to our Friday segment. Odet, one of my avid readers, really needs help on her severely damaged her. Her letter goes:

Hi Ma’m Martha,

I just need some help. My hair was totally damaged after a Rebond. Probably ‘coz of having my hair colored before my Rebond. My sister gave me a DIY Hair Coloring kit, and I've used it prior to the treatment. The hairstylist said it had an effect on my hair. I also have cellophane+hair color treatments every month. My hair gets kinky on the side, rubberized and brittle. Right now, I’m using L’oreal Vitamino Conditioner,and every week I’m putting on Powerdose for my hair treatment. Is there any tested brand that you can recommend for my hair? Thanks. God bless!

Odet


Hi Odet!

Rebonding is great because it makes your hair look sleeker, and helps you get rid of poufy hair. I have some friends who are doing it on a bi- monthly basis, and their hair is doing just fine. However, if you fail to follow its proper care instructions, it could be a disaster.

Actually, having your hair colored before a Rebond and vice versa is okay. You just have to spare a good amount of time before getting another treatment (around two months) to let your hair recover from all the chemicals used in your previous treatment.

If you got your Rebond treatment a few weeks to a month after your hair color treatment, perhaps this has sensitized your hair. Your hairstylist should have examined the condition of your hair as well prior to giving you the treatment, and he/she must know this because it's part of his/her job! It pays to have a hairstylist that really knows hair like the back of his/her hand.

Here are the possible reasons why your hair was damaged:

1. Hair was sensitized due to multiple treatments.
2. Chemicals of the DIY Hair Coloring kit had an adverse reaction to your hair
3. You didn't give ample recovery time to your hair before getting your Rebond
4. Failure to follow post- Rebond care and maintenance

But since the damage has already been done, let's just take it from here. Click READ MORE and know what products can help bring back life, softness, and beauty to your crowning glory.

First of all, you should bear in mind the basic rules on how to care for Rebonded hair, and follow them to the letter. A big thanks to some of my Rebonded friends who helped me create this list:

1. Never put clips on your hair, nor tie it up in a ponytail
2. Never swim because chlorinated water can damage your hair
3. Don't put your hair behind your ears
4. Don't wet your hair for 3 days after the treatment
5. Don't get a hair coloring treatment for two months--not even highlights. (It also depends on the person's hair condition. Some are not allowed to have their hair colored for 6 months)
5. When getting salon treatments like hot oil, avoid the steaming process
6. Avoid heated electric instruments such as hair dryers
7. Treat your hair to deep conditioning masks twice every week
8. Use leave- in conditioners and hair serums everyday to protect your hair from environmental aggressors

Here are some products that will help your hair recover from the damage:

TOP-OF-THE-LINE PRODUCTS



KERASTASE FORCE ARCHITECTE

It has been tagged by many international beauty magazines as the best line for damaged hair. As the name implies, the line is meant to reconstruct damaged hair by infusing it with tons of minerals, and sealing it within your hair shafts at the same time.



MACADAMIA HAIR CARE PRODUCTS

I saw this in a couple of salons locally, and its claim to fame is that it can soften even the driest and most brittle hair. Since your hair is extremely dry, Macadamia Oil can do wonders to it. It also has Argan Oil to shield your hair from pollution and sun exposure.


PUREOLOGY HYDRATE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER

Hydration is the first step in reviving damaged hair. Since your damaged hair shafts are unable to retain moisture, use hydrating shampoos and conditioners such as Pureology's Hydrate line to add and retain water balance in your hair.

CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES



DOVE INTENSIVE REPAIR LINE

The products of this particular line are very rich and creamy, and it's good for softening your hair. It also has an overnight hair treatment that will help repair your hair as your body regenerates itself during the night.


CREAM SILK PERFECTION

The line boasts of its Keratinology complex. I think this will be good for your hair since it has lost a lot of its precious Keratin, the protein that protects your hair from external damage. It also has a detangling spray that will protect your hair during combing and brushing.

I strongly advise that you use leave- in conditioner everyday because it will keep your hair from drying out. I wouldn't advise you to use oil- based hair serums because it can fry out your hair in the sun, although you can use them during night time as reparative treatments. For daytime, use cream- based products instead. Here are some recommendations:


Cream Silk's Perfection Leave- on Conditioner and Sunsilk's Silky Smooth & Mangeable Leave- on Conditioner


Avon's 3D Rescue Leave- On Treatment for Damaged hair, and Advanced Techniques Lotus Shield Frizz Control Leave- On Conditioner.

Make it a point to treat your hair to deep conditioning treatments at least twice- thrice per week. Salons offer deep conditioning and scalp treatments, but they're too costly to maintain. Here are some hair masks that you can enjoy right in your home:


Snoe Hair Heroes Intense Argan Oil Conditioner/Mask and Black Beauty Hot Oil (Just skip the hot towel process and leave the product on your hair for 30 minutes.)


L'oreal Total Repair 5 Deep Conditioning mask and Lorys Hair Cream

And if all else fails, wait for new hair to grow and cut the damaged parts, and go to a different salon for second opinion. Next time, make sure you follow the care and maintenance procedures for Rebonded hair properly and by heart--no compromise.

I hope this has helped you, Odet. And I hope my readers have learned from this as well! :D


**Got a burning question about makeups, skin care products, beauty, dieting, and health tips, relationships, and whatever? Just send them to martha.stabarbara@yahoo.com or shoot 'em up at The Beauty Junkee's FB Fan Page via the MESSAGE button and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. (Please, do not send me Math- related queries. :D)

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. Macadamia is on my wishlist but for now Imma get the Snoe Hair Heroes Argan Oil! :) Loreal, Sunsilk and Creamsilk don't work for me that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing tips Ms.Martha. Marami na kong nabasang hair care for rebonded hair, and you got everything in here. Including the expensive and affordable products! Ako I have super dry hair din, so even if narebond na sya, di sya ganon ka straight and shiny, so I make sure to apply hair treatment 3 times a week and apply Cream base leave-on :) I agree, kapag oil base product kasi it tends to make your hair sticky. Nice tips po!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super thanks for this post Ms. Martha! Naka relate ako kasi rebonded din hair ko.. Will follow your advice na mag deep condition twice a week! Maxadong costly kapag salon. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is for me. Haha! Anyway, I didn't know that deep conditioning is a must. Thanks, Martha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try Human Nature's hair mask. It has a lot of great reviews. I have rebonded hair too and I use Human Nature hair care products most of the time. While the ends of my hair still need cutting, they don't look as terrible as they did six months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, this is a timely post,
    my sis rebonded her hair after coloring, (the hair stylist didnt even check her hair first! tsk tsk)
    now the part of her real black hair connected to the colored hair is breaking causing falling hair, leaving kinky hair on top of her head! i hope your tricks would work wonders on her!

    http://elinessete.blogspot.com/
    Beauty is the strangest gift ever given, because you have to give it back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so torn on which brand shoud i buy. Can I use different brands at the same time ? :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. joanna: great choice! lemme know how hair heroes has worked for you. :)

    Gerilen: glad it helped you out Gerilen! :D

    Rizza: now you know. hehe. :D

    Aviva: Yup, I tried that too. I didn't include it here because it has a tendency to make my scalp become oily. :(

    Sincere: you're welcome dear! :D I do my scalp treatments at home too. :)

    Jenny: you're welcome! :D

    Judy: hello Judy and welcome to my blog! You may use different products, as long as they're intended for your specific hair problem. But if you want better results, use products from a single brand. I've typed in the various concerns that a particular brand/line targets because different people experience different degrees of hair damage. To know which line suits you best, determine first if your hair is:

    1. Mildly damaged- dry, has split- ends
    2. Severely damaged- dry, has split- ends, poufy, rough, brittle, prone to breakage

    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips! I mostly use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil to tame frizz but I'm open to trying other products! The Pro Naturals brand has seemed more high quality to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for the info and the tips, I personally use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which has helped me a lot, now my hair is healthy again, soft and shiny. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms.Martha I just want to ask kung anong gagawin ko sa rebonded hair ko kase after 10 months nag curl yung taas then yung baba nag dry:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very good information on hair damage control, I tried Mintop hair control products that give very good results to re-growth your hair.
    For more info: http://www.mintop.in

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)