Why Doing What You Love Is Not Always the Best Advice + Inviting you to my workshop with BDJ!


I saw an ad of a self- professed Influencer on Facebook that is promoting a social media coaching business; it has a lot of caption on it, but one thing that stuck with me was the part where it said: "...live the life you want by doing what you love."

I'm happy for the influencer because looks like they've made it by doing what they love; but the advice is not inspiring and borderline dangerous.


Ten years ago, I was a huge advocate of the DO WHAT YOU LOVE movement simply because I did Theatre where people are fueled by a lot of passion, people who are in it for doing what they love no matter the situation. I even said in a lot of my first talks, interviews, and workshops as The Beauty Junkee that there's no better way to go through life than to do what you love.

However, at some point in my life, the things I love doing the most became a chore; as the reality of life hit such as competition, business, and all the work in between, the magic of following my passion was slowly fading; it almost turned into a thing I hate because I was dealing with situations that didn't exactly make my disposition lovable. For a moment, I questioned if 'doing what you love' was really the secret to a happy existence. Then one day, I read a quote by Steve Jobs that said:

"The only way to do great work is to love what you do."

I was floored. It took Steve Jobs to make me realize that there's actually a thing as loving what you do because I was deep into simply doing what I love-I thought this wass the only way to go. It was a scary move, but I decided to embrace the concept.

Now I'm here to tell you that doing what you love is not always the best advice. 

At the end of the day, we all have personal goals and they surely can be achieved by doing what you love or loving what you do. But we are all different individuals with different realities and levels of experience and privileges; to purely advice someone to "just do what you love!" without regard for human experience and context of reality, as if it's the antidote to discontent, poses a threat to personal goals. How can passion help when it is not required at the moment? Remember that the journey is just as important as the destination.

So I'm now loving what I do at the moment; I admit there are times when I still struggle, but thanks to this concept, I've found more meaning in what I'm doing and most of all, I've somewhat freed myself from all the misery (or it's easier to do it, at least).

Hey, maybe we should discuss this in detail?

I will be sharing my journey from doing what I love to loving what I do at Make Today Magical event with Belle De Jour Power Planner; they're launching their 2019 planners plus there will be a lot of inspirational talks and educational workshops to satisfy your mind and soul. I hope to see you there. :)

Please visit BELLE DE JOUR POWER PLANNER on Facebook for tickets and inquries.

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. Aww. Love what you said here. As for me, I actually do not know what I love to do. So I did a lot and explored and in the process, yes, loved what I was doing. Good luck on your speaking engagement for BDJ! How I wish I could hear your talk but I have a prior commitment. Thanks for inspiring us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! Love what you do coz aminin natin... in life, minsan wala tayong choice sa work natin (especially yung less fortunate) kaya mahalin nalang kung anong meron tayo and nakakapagprovide sa family natin instead of continually chasing what you love to do... minsan naiisip ko na pang mayaman lang yung mga ganung advice haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha, thanks for posting these inspirational words. Kakagaan ng feeling. Mahirap when the thing we love to do suddenly becomes a chore.We can be burdened with tasks in the pursuit of our passions, and this can sour the feelings at some point. Add the fact that we're all going through something (hugot please)and this can add to the weight of burden as we pursue our passions. Anyways, hugs to you and keep on inspiring us, your fans and and Filipino women nationwide and the world over.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)