Etude House Baby Doll Puff Review: Move over, Beauty Blender

Here’s an initial review on Etude House Baby Doll Puff

PRICE: P378.00
PLACE BOUGHT: Etude House, Market! Market!, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City
OTHER LOCATIONS: Etude House stores in leading malls nationwide


THE VERDICT:

I’ve been contemplating on getting that high- end sponge called Beauty Blender for sometime now. In spite of being my makeup addict and the craze surrounding that ‘revolutionary’ pink sponge, I still can’t accept the fact that it’s worth a thousand bucks. Do I even get a free meal when I buy that? Lol.


But I’ll still get a Beauty Blender for myself. Probably in one of my spur-of-the-moment spending sprees---or if a benevolent soul decides to send/give me one. :D

While Beauty Blender is waiting in my wishlist, I will enjoy my Etude House Baby Doll Puff for now.


It’s not really an original concept, as Sonia Kashuk and HD Makeup Blender have the same thing—as in the same thing. But of course, the brand makes the price difference. And the packaging—oh, that lovely Babushka print on the box was the reason why I bought it.
The design enables you to apply makeup on hard-to-reach areas on your face, and create an air- brushed look. Unlike the traditional wedge sponge that leaves you with a streaky and sharp finish, the rounded body of the Baby Doll Puff helps you create a softer and more natural finish.


According to EH’s website, this sponge is made from Nitirile- Butadiene Rubber, a kind of rubber that is being used to make non- latex gloves and whatnots. So that’s tantamount to saying that this sponge is Latex- free. What’s all the fuss about with Latex? There’s a worldwide movement in the cosmetic industry that aims to remove Latex permanently from the production of cosmetic products such as sponges. It is because plant- derived and synthetic Latex can cause fatal allergic reactions in humans. Anaphylactic Shock is an example of a condition that can result from Latex sensitivity.


I’ve used this first on my Clinique Perfectly Real Foundation. My first trial was a total failure because the puff just absorbed the foundation, and left me with a very sheer coverage. I browsed for and read some reviews online and found out that it works better if it’s wet.


WORK IT: Well, it doesn’t have to be soaking wet if you’re going to use it because you might end up diluting your foundation. Spray some water on the puff to soften its texture. Squeeze the excess, and let it stand for a few seconds before using it

NO ATOMIZER IN SIGHT? Then just run a hand under running water, squeeze the sponge using your wet hand to dampen it, and repeat the process until it becomes a bit soft. Squeeze the excess, and let it stand for a few seconds before using it.


Here’s my face without anything on.


The base is being used to apply foundation on the skin. Bounce the base of the puff on the bigger areas until you achieve your desired coverage.

To “Bounce” actually means to “stipple” in the makeup world. It’s a term popularized by Beauty Blender.


Use the pointed tip to apply foundation or concealer on your under eyes, corners of the nose, or any hard-to-reach areas on your face.


You can even use it for spot concealing.


I’ve actually found a better use for the protruding part of the sponge. The said part can be used to contour cheeks and create planes on the face. I know for a fact that most makeup artists and girls alike prefer using foundation to contour faces. So this sponge comes handy to these people because the protruding part hits face planes perfectly. Also, the width of the said part is perfect enough to create natural contours because it’s not too wide, unlike wedge sponges.


Buffed with the puff.

Check out the coverage. It made my skin look better, but without looking cakey and fake. My skin is also projecting from all that foundation!


Well, the difference in coverage is not really significant in this pic. Just take a look at my cheeks. On the part where I used the Baby Doll Puff, you can see that some of my small bumps were evened out, but not totally concealed. While on the part where I used my fingers, all the nasty small bumps disappeared. I really don’t mind a few bumps sticking out of my face. After all, these bumps make me human.

Overall, I like it. It’s cheap, and it works. I recommend that you try it. As for Beauty Blender, my lemming for it is gone, but I’ll still buy it soon for comparison’s sake, and to also see for myself what the rave is all about.

Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. nice! Didn't see this one when I was in Korea or I would have bought one!

    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want this na din!! haha i am searching for a cheap alternative for the beauty blender.. thanks martha for this post

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've thought of actually buying this before but a friend told me that this is not even comparable to beauty blender. she said that it doesn't even expand & gives you an airbrushed finish unlike the BB.
    *sigh*
    *sigh*
    just like what you said i'm still not convinced that i should spend more than a thousand just for BB but if there's really nothing that is even comparable to the finish that it gives then i guess that i have no choice,ne?
    but i have to say that the packaging for this is really cute!
    i almost include it on my basket the last time i went to etude..haha!
    but it's good that it works for you though
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was wondering if this can be used for BB creams and if it would be easier to blend BB creams if I use this...what are your thoughts? :)


    Tanya
    http://tardydresser.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing EH came up with that affordable pink sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice review! :) I wanna try this one too.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. same reason why i haven't bought a beauty blender pa. hehe.

    i've been looking for this in EH branches i've been at and laging out of stock. ang layo ng nabilhan mo ):

    i wish they'd re-stock soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mich: sayang! And it's always oos here. I want the Sonia Kashuk too 'cos of the color. :p I love purple!

    Thiamere: great concern. The puff softens when you spray water on it. I can't say if it's comparable to Beauty Blender 'cos I haven't tried it yet. But with the finish it gives, I'm pretty fine with it. :)

    Tanya: hello there! Well, BB creams have the same consistency as foundation, so I think it will work fine on bb creams. :)

    Aidisan: hello! yup! This has been around for a couple of months now. I just don't frequent EH. :)

    Theresa: thanks!

    Gellie: Hahaha. Also the pink dye. I've read somewhere online that BB bleeds pink if it's being washed. Eeep! Chemicals! Market2 is near my place naman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! thanks for this post! I used to visit EH every now and then but must have missed out this on the shelves...I've heard a lot of good reviews with regards to the BB but it is mad expensive for just a sponge thingy~ hehe....I'm so eager to try this out...thanks so much for the tips, its really helpful (^_^)~

    ReplyDelete
  10. aaaww.. i went to EH Pamp earlier and they don't have this.. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet: glad you like it dear! Yeah, BB is ridiculously expensive. Oh well. We're paying for the name. :)

    Theresa: I think they only have this in selected stores. :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this Martha! I'm actually looking for a nice beauty blender that doesn't cost much and I think this one definitely fits my criteria ;)

    Not Your Ordinary Beauty Queen

    Join my giveaway!
    Dorothy Perkins Clutch Bag Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, great review! i love reading your blogs! i really learned a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mar: hey Mar! thanks for visiting! :D

    apple: welcome dear. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. super expensive kasi ng original ba beauty blender, yun yung napalanunan nung nag giveaway kayo Ms.Martha! hehe. anyway, almost similar naman sila. even din kapag fingers lang.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to EH again earlier Ms. Martha waley tlga! tama nga po kau.. selected EH branches lng po.. awww.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha I bought one after I saw your post but I'm wondering how do you wash yours?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do not think that people that have never tried the original Beautyblender should be posting comparative themes like this one. I have been buying the original Beautyblender for 4 years now and have wasted my money on Sonia Kashuk imitation another ones that never came close to the quality or to the finishing. I do agree Beautyblender is overpriced, but they last long and if you stray and try to find a good imitation will cost you more time and money than investing in the authentic one. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i dont see any difference.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post! :)