Hello! It's Friday, and that could only mean one thing: IT'S FAN MAIL FRIDAAAAAYYYY! Yay! :D
I've been getting a lot of queries regarding oily skin lately. I'm now starting to think that it's the most common skin type here in the tropics. Well, it's understandable because our weather is pretty hot and humid almost all- year round.
But I digress. Here's our Friday question sent in by Becca:
Hi Ms. Martha!
I'm Becca, a makeup newbie, who decided to experiment with makeups after a couple of our clients during meetings called me "Nene" and commented on how I look like my nanay just asked me to buy "Suka sa Kanto". Hehehehe annoying but I only have myself to blame since I neglected my face during college days ( I just use baby powder and lip balm). I've been reading your blog for quite a while now along with other blogs and I must say, I learned a lot of very useful things, one of which is that I should invest in a good foundation that will work on my skin type. I've finally decided to ask for your suggestion in choosing the right liquid foundie for my acne prone and oily skin. Nalito na kasi sobrang dami ng binasa ko hehehe. High- end brands are ok since I'm considering buying them-- (Sorry to my wallet hehehe) And maybe cheaper alternatives? Thanks in advance and I'm really hoping you could help me.
P.S. Sorry for the looong email. I was on the verge of buying Clinique yesterday but thankfully, I held myself back kasi sinwatch ko lang sa jaw ko. Baka mag-breakout ako!
Thank you for the question. Well, let's get you all primped and pretty so the next time your clients see you, they'd actually think you're a Suka company heiress! Haha! :D
There are two types of people with oily skin: the sensitive and non- sensitive types. My skin's the former, so I get to use a wide range of foundations because my skin is not that reactive. I'd love to recommend a couple of heavy- duty and long- wearing foundation brands to you, but I'm afraid you'll just breakout since you have acne- prone skin! Here are some sheer and lightweight foundation brands that are long- lasting, and have good coverage. Click READ MORE and find out!
- It's becoming pretty prominent nowadays because apparently, it is the best foundation for people with reactive skin. It is because they are light, build- able, and acts just like second skin. Mousse foundation also has air particles that create mini holes in the product to allow your skin to breathe. It is also one of the best foundation types to use in hot and humid places. Here are some of my recommendations.
SHU UEMURA FACE ARCHITECT MOUSSE FOUNDATION
- I have owned a Face Architect foundation, but not this one. As far as I can remember, Shu Uemura's Face Architect foundation truly re-structures your skin by making it luminous and flawless. Anyway, I've been reading a lot of raves about this so I suggest you try it. FYI, Shu Uemura has pioneered mousse bases in the makeup industry, so it goes without saying that it is the best brand to shop for Mousse Foundation.
REVLON PHOTOREADY MOUSSE FOUNDATION
- Here's a cheaper alternative. It is extremely lightweight, oil- free, and yields a light, and natural- looking coverage.
- I wish you could use matte foundation, but it might break you out. :( Instead, here are some liquid foundation brands that give a dewy, natural finish, and aren't too heavy on the skin:
- One of the best Bobbi Brown foundations in my opinion. :) Covers little marks, evens out minor discolorations and appears just like your skin. It is oil- free, and yields light to medium coverage.
LANCOME TEINT MIRACLE LIQUID FOUNDATION
- If your skin is looking a bit dull, you might want to use a foundation with illuminating properties. Teint Miracle boosts your skin's glow by playing with its 'Inner Light' . It is also oil- free and long- wearing. More about this foundation in a separate review.
- As the name implies, it does give you flawless complexion without the thickness and weight. It is breathable, has anti- aging properties, is oil- free, and has sun protection to boot!
MAYBELLINE CLEAR SMOOTH AQUA GEL FOUNDATION
- This foundation is great for your acne prone skin because it hydrates, and replenishes your skin's water reserves. The water in the gel creates a liquid barrier on your skin to keep oil from coming out of your pores.
- If it's pretty hot, skip foundation and opt for lighter face bases.
- If you need more coverage and want added skin benefits, go for this one. It has a good concentration of pure pigments that help cover major skin discolorations, and helps brighten skintone after a period of usage.
- If you just need an affordable tinted moisturizer for mall trips and weekend day- outs with your family and friends, I suggest Myra- E's because so far, it's the most impressive drugstore tinted moisturizer I've ever used.
- It's best used when you're in a hurry, and if you can't afford to spend too much time doing your makeup. On extra hot days, use powder foundation because it's featherweight, and helps counteract excessive oil.
MAYBELLINE CLEAR SMOOTH ALL IN ONE SHINE- FREE POWDER FOUNDATION
- It is a cult favorite because it simply does its job: It keeps you looking fresh and pretty, and doesn't require you to shell out a fortune. :)
SHISEIDO SHEER MATTIFYING POWDER FOUNDATION
- In my opinion, Shiseido makes the best powder foundations in the world. I'm currently using the Sheer Mattfying variant, and it does keep my face looking matte and fresh all day. It is quite pricey, but I'm sure you'll love every bit of it.
CAUTION:Make sure to do a patch test first before purchasing!
And if all else fails, Mineral Makeup is your best friend. Mineral Makeup reportedly has minimal to zero adverse effects, so I think it will suit your hyperreactive skin. (In case it is)
Here are some good and affordable MMU products from Maybelline:
PURE FOUNDATION MINERAL LOOSE POWDER FOUNDATION
PURE LIQUID MINERAL LIQUID FOUNDATION
There you go! Just make sure your skin is always clean before applying makeup. If you have a current skin care regimen, follow it religiously because like what Shu Uemura has said: "Beautiful makeup starts with beautiful skin." :)
**Got a burning question about makeups, skin care products, beauty, dieting, and health tips, relationships, and whatever? Just send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or shoot 'em up at The Beauty Junkee's FB Fan Page via the MESSAGE button and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. (Please, do not send me Math- related queries. :D)